How much is too much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Every player on my 12U travel team also plays rec ball. The majority also play ball for the middle school. It's a grind, and I'm not surprised to hear them tell me they need a night off once in a while.

In the past five days, my daughter has played 11 games and had two practices scheduled. School ball ends in two weeks and rec ends in four weeks. It will be nice to "only" have the travel team schedule to deal with.

Nov 22, 2012
Every player on my 12U travel team also plays rec ball. The majority also play ball for the middle school. It's a grind, and I'm not surprised to hear them tell me they need a night off once in a while.

In the past five days, my daughter has played 11 games and had two practices scheduled. School ball ends in two weeks and rec ends in four weeks. It will be nice to "only" have the travel team schedule to deal with.

where do you live? and is it ASA for both or??

That is really easy to deal with.

"You need a night off? Great! Which is it going to be, rec or school ball?"

None of my kids play rec and only a couple play school ball. Of course, they know if they were to miss a practice or game because of either that they would lose PT. They know which team is the most competitive and choosing to miss is choosing not to compete. This gives the other girl competing for your spot a 100% chance of winning it if she has no one to compete against.

Works like a charm. :cool:

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
The nice thing about running the travel team and the rec program is that I can coordinate the practices and games for both. There are never any conflicts between the two.

School ball is another issue, with practices and games going until 5:00 or so every night. Most nights it's a mad dash from school to the travel or rec fields, with dinner in the car on the way or afterwards around 9PM.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I think the term "burn out" is much overused. What we really mean is that the player realizes that they have reached a level where they can no longer compete unless they are willing to put more time into the activity than they want to. If you are spending all of your free time on an activity and still not able to compete and have fun, then yes, you are going to quit. Just don't call it burn out.

Nov 23, 2014
Well, she's on the field literally every night lately. I can see she's starting to stress over schoolwork a little bit. She loves her TB team and never complains about practice. She likes her lessons too. Town ball would be the thing to go. I think kids do need some down time. I feel like she hasn't had time to breathe. Ok maybe not burnout but maybe it's overload?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Overload is fair. Sometimes as parents we need to set the boundaries for how much time our kids spend on athletics vs school vs other things.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is she setting up for burnout?

I doubt it, but I think you and her are wasting time.

She is not going to progress playing rec ball. She is going to hangout with her friends, but don't you think she should be doing things other than softball?

E.g., reading, music, church related activities, etc.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma