How many pitchers is too many?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2019
OK

I was kidding, my DD plays on a 2nd year 14u team and your kid’s team could very well beat them but I doubt that would do wonders for their confidence 😂
We are good for 10u, but I think her team would crush us LOL
Under most circumstances I would say 3 pitchers is the perfect amount which is why she guest plays to get the additional reps.
OU or Okie State fan?

Jun 8, 2016
What college team is that? Or, is that your daughters travel ball team name? 🤣
Lol..I am a MA replant so I don’t really root for a college team. I work at OU and everybody around here is much happier when their teams win so if I wanted to be nice I guess I should say OU 😂

Apr 14, 2022
41 innings, 15 pitches per inning... 615 pitches.

Yeah, that's more than I'd want a pitcher to throw in a weekend.
And that is not counting warmup pitches. That could be an additional 200-300 between each game and 30-50 warming up each day.
Could reach 1000 pitches.

Apr 14, 2022
A double elimination tournament could easily be a min of 5 on average play 7 games and possibly 10-12. Depending on the age but I would say 2.5 games in a weekend is a good number. That leaves min of 3 and 4 would be preferable.
With 2 you run out of gas on Sunday.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I wonder from the point of view of "growing more pitchers" if certain types of tournaments are bad for the game. I E should we not have double elimination or just limit tournament sizes? I understand that tournaments vary widely between age and skill levels.

Aug 23, 2016
DD's first year 16U team has five pitchers. The fifth pitcher is sort of developmental, and the top 4 are of roughly equivalent ability when they're all pitching well. Two of them are far more consistent than the other two (and are better hitters) and they get the most innings. But #3 and 4 do get their time - they get starts in pool play and one or both of them will come in as relief during bracket play to keep the top 2 fresh. But the coaches are really transparent about each pitcher's role, and what kind of time they can expect, and all of them are valued so it works for this team.

May 21, 2018
DD's 14U team this year has a kid who sits 64-66..I bet we could win more games if we pitched her 2/3 of the innings..not sure that is proper all things considered..
D*mn that's fast. DD's team adjusted to speed pretty well, but I doubt they could touch 66.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse