How many orgs are set up Ponzi-style to fund 18 Gold programs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I'm in northern California, so I often see this with some of the larger organizations, but wondered how common it is in other areas for the younger age groups to help fund the older teams, even if it's just for as little as 10% of the 18s overall budget.

Jul 2, 2013
Ponzi style is way too strong of a representation.

Large orgs create plenty of benefit in coaching and exposure for all their teams. Across all age groups. Especially their #1 and #2 travel teams. But they are also in the business of promoting the organization itself. There is overhead ... Coaches pay, rooms, car rentals, administration.

So yes the big orgs are worth it if you DD has the goods.At the younger ages, 12U, 14U, not so much.

Every player has to make their choices based on their talent and pocketbook. Be aware of your money and where it goes, and whether or not that money is serving DD the best.

the big orgs are serving a greater good. From 15 years old and above it is well worth it. Under 15, and "paying up" for a big org, depending on how much money you may have to spend, may be better saved for the future.

At 15 and 16 years of age, paying a big travel org to promote DD is well worth it.

Jan 25, 2011
In the end, everything is about money. I have seen in person and on TV some of these big orgs. their players and teams are not any better then some of the one team Only TB teams. It all boils down to how big dad and moms pocket book are. So I'm sure that the younger teams finance the older groups some. We all seen the thread recently with the big prospect pitchers. They weren't anything great, just the right amount of money.

Jul 2, 2013
In the end, everything is about money. I have seen in person and on TV some of these big orgs. their players and teams are not any better then some of the one team Only TB teams. It all boils down to how big dad and moms pocket book are. So I'm sure that the younger teams finance the older groups some. We all seen the thread recently with the big prospect pitchers. They weren't anything great, just the right amount of money.

I disagree to the extent, everything is about the players talent.

If the player is good enough, and works hard enough, she will eventually get where she deserves to be.

Without money, there are ways. Play local, get recruited locally. Go to a local D2 school, or walk on to a D1 school? Once leaving high school, travel softball ie. the money aspect does not exist.

the folks with money get the first look ... Of course. There is a life after travel softball. Plenty of rich folks get recruited by high D1's only to wash out, and find their way to a lower level. Just as many start college at a lower level in college, find themselves in the College World Series playing for a national championship as a key player.

travel softball has its purpose. Money and big orgs are a big part of it. Ultimately though, the talent of the player determines her future, especially once the colleges get a hold of them.

As much as the big orgs will say different.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am not an expert on the subject, but I can tell you that playing 18U Gold is a double edged sword for a lot of organizations and players. Marquee organizations need to show well at PGF, ASA, Triple Crown Nationals, but most 18U Gold players are already verballed or signed. Therefore, what incentive do the 18U Gold parents and players have to spend the time and money to go "represent" the organization? THAT is why a lot of marquee organizations subsidize their 18U Gold teams!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've seen similar setups with feeder teams for high schools. You're sorta have to play on the feeder team to enhance your chances of making varsity one day, but the cost of these feeder teams is about twice what is needed to support it. Rest goes to feed the varsity, which you may never make.

Feb 3, 2011
Interesting point, JAD. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. There was a case up here not too many years ago involving a well-known organization that had promised to give funding 'back' to teams headed to Nationals, but then refused to do so. No one but the owner knows why, but the other coaches and parents knew that the 18G team was doing plenty of traveling, and the supposition became that these several thousands of dollars that should've been divided among a few of the younger teams that summer had been instead rerouted to subsidize the 18G program. So, after being with that org for 4+ years, some of the more popular coaches left and went elsewhere. Naturally their quality players followed, and those parents had plenty of stories to tell. The parents had been very happy to pay a regular fee for a big name organization which made their daughter's teams attractive to other quality players, but they perceived that greed had become the name of the game and opted to take their checkbooks elsewhere.

There will always be another group of willing sheep to come along, though.

Jul 26, 2010
Once you get to 18g the fees, as high as they may be, aren't really a big part of the budget. It's the travel and time off.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd