How many games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
DD accepted a spot on a team with a 75-ish game schedule for this spring/summer. Seems a little high to me for a B team. Got me thinking...what is a typical number of games for a second year 12u B team?

Apr 1, 2010
I would think more in the 60-70 range (about 100 games a year total between spring/summer and fall), but IMO 75 doesn't sound completely insane.

What I would ask is how they are calculating the 75 games. If they're being optimistic and assuming they'll end up playing all the way to the finals in every tournament, then that 75 is probably going to turn into a number like 60-65. If they're being pessimistic and that 75 games is based on the minimum guaranteed games in the tournaments they're entering, then that could be grueling.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yes that is a bit much. If that is just spring and summer numbers, that would be every weekend from March-July.

We are looking at about 40, but then our girls have to play spring league ball also (weeknights).

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
I don't have the spring/summer/fall breakdown (March thru November) , but DGD's 12u A/B team played 124 games last year with a 1 month break between summer and fall. They never played back to back weekends. Most tournaments had at least 12 teams and several had as many as 48 teams. It is harder on the parents than the kids. :)

Feb 3, 2011
Our top 10u and 12u girls from the spring rec program played 'B' ball in summer and fall and played just under 60 games as I recall. They'll likely play a few more games this year, but 70-72 would be about the max, assuming a deep run in each tournament played.

For the girls playing on new 'A' ball teams this year, they can expect about the same number of games in spring/summer as your team is playing.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I don't have the spring/summer/fall breakdown (March thru November) , but DGD's 12u A/B team played 124 games last year with a 1 month break between summer and fall. They never played back to back weekends. Most tournaments had at least 12 teams and several had as many as 48 teams. It is harder on the parents than the kids. :)

Maybe I am thinking wrong, I am kind of a math nerd. There are approx. 37 weekends there, give or take. Minus a month off (4 weekends)=33 weekends. Never played back to back weekends =33/2 is 16.5. 16.5 weekends / 124 games = an AVERAGE of 13.3 games per weekend!

Apr 8, 2010
The 75-ish number is my estimate based on the minimum guaranteed games based on the tournaments we are scheduled to play plus league. Just felt a little high to me, but we're not complaining. The team is playing a second 14-game league, but my DD is not playing in that league as she has a school commitment on the night that league plays. So the majority of the team will play close to 100 games this spring/summer. Was kinda curious how much others were playing.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The 75-ish number is my estimate based on the minimum guaranteed games based on the tournaments we are scheduled to play plus league. Just felt a little high to me, but we're not complaining. The team is playing a second 14-game league, but my DD is not playing in that league as she has a school commitment on the night that league plays. So the majority of the team will play close to 100 games this spring/summer. Was kinda curious how much others were playing.

I think that is too much. I count spring starting March 1 (didn't see where you are from, but that is a general start point), and summer is through July (new season starts August) That figures out to almost 5 games every week, NO breaks or time off.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
Our 12U ASA B team is looking at anywhere from 9 - 12 tournaments with a 4 gg. So if we play the minimum there that's 48 games. We then will play league with 10 games
League tournament is 3gg.

So we are looking at a 50ish number for the April 1 - July 20 season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30