How many change ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 2, 2012
Dd working on rise ball would not want to throw in 3/2 situation yet. Has a screw and drop curve. Only two pitches she can throw in high school game is a her drop/fastball and change up. She threw a 109 pitches tonight with 64 strikes. She only threw less than 10 cu. after sixth they started pounding her. Coach calls pitches how many cu would you like to see thrown?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
10/109 is less than 10% so its not even a pitch the hitters have to concern themselves with. From your post, I understand that the HS coach doesn't let her throw ithe screw or drop curve so that leaves only the fast drop, correct? If that's the case, I find it very surprising and a credit to her that she didn't get rocked until after the 6th if she's only throwing what amounts to 1 pitch! Does the coach have any credentials or experience other than his ACME FP Academy certificate?

Jan 2, 2012
No credentials just a coach because of his dd. was just thinking need to keep batter guessing what pitch is coming. When the team has 40 plus errors you need to keep hitting to minimum.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
A HS pitcher with only two pitches is going to eventually get hit. You said she only threw 10 out of 109 CU's. As a pitch caller, you need to be able to adjust the way you are calling a game. If she was successful early in the game and only threw 6 CU's, then they started timing her FB, I would have increased the CU calls at that point. Rather than focus on pitch calling, I would spend as much time as possible developing another pitch. At the HS level, a pitcher needs to be able to move the hitters eyes. Even if the rise ball is ineffective, she needs to throw it around the letters. Make the hitters look at high, low, in and out pitches. Now you will be able to mix the CU in with success. Just a thought.

Jan 2, 2012
dont think she would go to anything but the drop or cu on a 3/2 count. only worked a few weeks on other pitches but they have a lot of movement. if no runners on base and ahead in count why not throw one of them? dont think he even knows what the other pitches will do.

Nov 1, 2009
Watching HS is like going back to the stoneage in softball excellence. If you are trying to win consistently your pitchers need to move their pitches and throw any pitch with any count. If you don't throw a CU on a 3/2 then why throw it at all. The benefit of the CU is to have the element of surprise and throwing it on 3/2 is the perfect count to maximize the surprise.

Most coaches make the mistake of worrying about a walk so they throw the ball over the heart of the plate. So I ask, would you rather have a walk on CU with the possibility of a strike out, or a hard hit ball by throwing it over the heart? If you are 14U or less it isn't that important but as the girls get bigger you can't afford to give open swings.

Aug 10, 2010
From first post I say way to few change ups.. My dd threw first HS game this year and coach only called 2 change-ups in 7 innings! I was perplexed as to why but let it go. My dd has decent drop and curve with her rise always in question day to day. My dd would rather properly place her fast ball than to throw a fat riser that fails to move and I agree. Anyhow, beginning of game two I spoke to an assistant coach who threw men's fastpitch for years and told him that my daughter only threw two changes the first game and I asked him when he had EVER threw just two changes in a game when he pitched and his response was at first, very few, then after thinking he said NEVER. I also agree with a previous response to this for the change to be effective, it must be thrown at anytime during the count. Just my two cents......

Aug 10, 2010
1st.--I think you mean't "adult parents" interjecting themselves during a game. I in no way did that as I only spoke to the assistant coach who pitched for years and who I have know and played ball with for over 30 years, who happened to be walking by me during that second game..I am only a spectator at any and all of my dd's games.
2nd.--I did not talk to the Head Coach as he was coaching the game at the time but I would have bent his ear had he been the guy walking by.
--As in the slower bats and still only throwing two change ups over 7 innings I have to respectfully disagree with you on that. Been around the game long enough to know that you have to show a change and that you have it to make it effective even when not throwing a lot of them. Just my opinion based on coaching and watching softball/baseball for over 20 years.

Lastly--Again, I would have to disagree partially with you on this last statement, as I would contend a high fastball out of the zone being ahead in the count can be just as effective as a riser, whether you strike the batter out or not. I do agree that movement pitches are more desirable and trust me my dd will throw what is called by the coach.

"You wander why coaches feel harangued by parents"---well obviously I was not clear enough on my post as to elicit a semi-bashing i just took from you screwball. I have seen it and been on the coaching side of it enough to know that I am truly just a spectator at my daughters games since I am not a coach. Again, I wish that I would have been more clear. Finally, not sure it is always up to the "kid" to speak up as she and they are just that, kids. Thanks for the post as it really got me thinking..and of course I will be clearer on whatever I may post next!

Aug 10, 2010
"Passive aggressive manner"???? The assistant coach who i have known for over 30 years walks by me to go to the restroom and my speaking to him was "PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE" in nature?????.... You say wow and I say wow!!! Anyhow.. And again, I apologize for not being clearer. I do believe that you have been in the game for awhile and I do respect your opinion as I respect everyone's opinions on here, even when you opinion was very critical of a situation where all of the facts were not presented( and I apologized for that already). I am done on this thread as I respectfully succumb to your advanced expertise on this subject......

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp