How long have you coached ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
on WARRIORMIKE's (look what I got) thread it was brought up about coaching past players kids.

Got me to thinking about all the years I have coached, and all the changes fast pitch has seen.

How long have any of you been coaching and what is the biggest change you have seen ?

I have coached since 1976, and when I started Little League was the big program.
At that time there were only three travel programs in the Chicago-land area (that I knew of)
I made the jump to travel at the end of the 90's early 2000

The biggest change to me is the way you have to treat/coach the players.
I started out as a "Mike Dika" type coach, and that style went out the window years ago.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Been at it since 2004 when dd was in t ball.
I would tend to agree with Mike on the Plato style... I'm the king of analogies. For some reason I always have to explain it in another way to get my point across. Seems to work.... (most of the time) or (some of the time)
I've noticed in this time the number of travel teams popping up is insane. .. each one a little worse than the other. Theres soooo many bucket parents who think they can do it better and the next thing you know, you've lost two players and the rest of your team is getting "recruited".

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
2004 too and I started as the Mike Ditka (love that ref) coach too. that went away long ago but that's how I was coached and all I knew for many years.

I love the analogies approach as well lol.

Last edited:
May 4, 2014
So Cal
2009 here and I coach like Ricky Ricardo from "I love Lucy"..... ok not sure who my coaching style follows... Im not the quiet one on the field thats for sure

Oct 22, 2009
Started coaching 1988.

Moved to pitching instruction in 2002.

Biggest change?
From this;
phone.jpg

to this;
phone 2.jpg

Nov 18, 2013
Indiana
I started coaching in 1998 when asked by a local league who could find a softball coach to do it (Person I worked with ran the league) Been coach Softball ever since. Done Park, Travel, Junior High. One big change I have noticed is I don't have to fight anymore for equal diamond time with Baseball. At least around here I don't. I also remember when coaching Rec, thinking.."Why travel ball, that makes no sense." Oh, but I get it now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole