How important is the feel of skipping a rock or side arm throw to hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
DD has problems with a side arm throw and cannot skip a rock. I was watching a youtube video clip by Don Slaught (below) about hitters feeling the movements for getting into a good hitting position. Should I work with DD on a side arm throw to help improve her hitting?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I teach my DD the proper throwing sequence.Throwing is to hitting as hitting is to throwing.My DD doesn't know how to skip a rock.

Oct 12, 2009
DD has problems with a side arm throw and cannot skip a rock. I was watching a youtube video clip by Don Slaught (below) about hitters feeling the movements for getting into a good hitting position. Should I work with DD on a side arm throw to help improve her hitting?

I've mentioned this before, but in my (direct) experience what is really valuable about the skipping a rock cue isn't what the arm does, it's how you are forced to tilt forward over the plate. That runs counter to how most hitters hit, and a lack of tilt is why most people can't skip a rock well.

Aug 9, 2011
This is just simply one method of someones drill for hitting. One that works for some, may not work for others. I see his point but have never personally used this drill.
Find a drill that works for you and stick with it. Just make sure it's an effective and efficient drill.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I've mentioned this before, but in my (direct) experience what is really valuable about the skipping a rock cue isn't what the arm does, it's how you are forced to tilt forward over the plate. That runs counter to how most hitters hit, and a lack of tilt is why most people can't skip a rock well.

I agree. This is how an athlete gets ready to do any type of powerful movement. The slight tilt is an essential part of the cliched "athletic position". I believe that it naturally helps to distribute the athlete's weight toward the balls of their feet.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Good conversation on tilt. I think this is the point some don't understand when Don talks about the rock skipping. I know this is being overlooked on the distance from the plate conversation on a different post. Jim's post on what we call balance, is a problem with many kids. The comment on learining to throw first is the key .

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for the comments. Chris, you have given me something to look at when DD tries to throw side arm. I think you hit the nail on the head. As DD gets older, we have many conversations on how a certain movements feel to her, this applies to throwing, hitting and pitching practice. As she matures and becomes more self-aware she communicate how she feels making certain adjustments and tweaks to her mechanics.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This is where the ChuckIt dog toy drill, fits in. Don Slaught showed it to me.

The ChuckIt has become a major part of my coaching arsenal and I use it for pop flies, too.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I've found the sidearm throw motion is one of the easiest ways to teach players the basic blueprint of a good swing.

When you throw sidearm:
Do you coil?
Does your throwing hand go back as you stride?
Does your body get into a good athletic posture?
Does your head remain close to centered between your feet as you stride and throughout the throw?
Does your throwing arm elbow work underneath your throwing hand while your throwing hand remains back at your back shoulder, prior to the actual performance of the throw?
Do your hips lead your throw?
Does your back foot use the ground to create a stable platform for the hips to work against?
Do you get your butt into the throw?

Do you have to think about doing any of the above actions when you throw sidearm or skip a rock...Or do you just do it?

The sidearm throw model is way more than just about balance and getting into an athletic posture. When done properly it has all of the elements of a good swing.

One of the biggest benefits of the sidearm throw is the action of the throwing arm, or in hitting the top hand. Very few coaches, parents and instructors that I talk to understand how the best hitters slot the back elbow. Incorrectly slotting the back elbow is the big reason why many hitters do not hit in a big zone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp