how does one evaluate their kid vs the team and their future ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2012
still relatively new at this.
my girl is a 10yo playing on a 10u club team as a 9yo. (feb birth date)
they are a feeder team for the organization that boasts some very competitive travel teams.
we came to the team late, but we were given a couple of tryouts and were taken on as an infielder.

these kids are still learning the game, but it is a functioning full fledged team. my kid has some experience and is naturally athletic. she started the first 2 games as the shortstop and did well. she then played 2nd, 3rd and 1st and again did well, at least as well as any of the other players. she played the whole games as well. and they won most of them.

now she finds herself spliting time in right field. and they have been losing. mostly because of bad infield play.i want to say her time has been reduced because she hasnt been hitting, but the player she splits rf with is a good hitter, so that makes no sense.

my kid is the fastest runner on the team. she has the quickest hands, and by far has the greater range at any of the infield positions. she is also the most mature playmaker. her arm is decent. she always hustles. certainly she makes miscues, but she also makes plays no one else does. so why has she been bumped? the current 3rd baseman cant reach 1st base with a throw. the shortstop falls asleep on plays, the 2nd baseman is erratic, and the firstbasemen just misses catching throws sometimes. so its not just me seeing my kid as better than she is.

anyways, my daughter, just when she was getting into a rythm that looked like she had found a home and was growing as a player, all of a sudden finds herself decaying in rf. none of the coaches has said anything to me about it. but its painfully obviuos something is up. and yes, 3 of the current infielders have parents that are coaching or on the board of directors and/or have other kids on the top travel teams. but they were all there when we were starting at short, too.

now this team itself doesnt play into the fall. but the rest of the org teams do and have try outs in aug. they have a pony 10u team and 11u and 12u teams that she could try out for. different staff for each of those teams, but i dont know their needs . i know my girl would play harder and better with older kids instead of down like she maybe doing now. but it doesnt seem feasable she would be benched on her current team and be able to make the older squads.

i must say the organization is a good one. the players and parents are good folks and the coaches all seem nice, competent, and love the kids. but i am going to send my girl to play in the rec fall league. and maybe wont be back with her current team next season. its kinda sad. we got a month left, so we shall see. but i am not optimistic.

so how does one evaluate the reality?

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Best suggestion would be to contact the coach to ask for an explanation. I would recommend you do this outside of practice/games. If your DD is as good as you say she is, the coach may be moving girls to different positions as a 'try out' for next season, while he puts your DD in RF because he already knows what she can do.

Jun 29, 2012
well, i thought of that , but wondered if i was creating an excuse. truth is she isnt the only player that has been moved. but it looks like they have decided to go with their original line up. we have a tourney this weekend and my kid hasnt practiced anywhere in the infield this week. its ging to be in the mid 90's F, and i can just picture now what kids will be standing around while the other teams runners advance. i hope i am wrong.

years ago i sure would have confronted the coaches. now i wont. i spent too much of my own career on the disgruntled list. i wont wish that on my DD. (what is DD anyways? darling daughter?LOL) as i said, we have a month left and a busy one at that. their actions will be what speaks to me. we would be more than happy to stay with this club. its an overall classsy organization. no one is giving my kid an attitude. they just stopped playing her where she can do herself or the team any good. we were and still are, super appreciative of the chance we have been given to play. the bottom line though is we want infield developement, the fancy uniform and gear was never the main goal with us.

of course you are correct , at some point our future will have to be discussed with the coaches. when the timing seems right. i need to be sure of what i see and think, and what options we may have on our own first.

I never really understand these posts...you don't need to confront the coach you need to have a conversation with the coach. As a coach I never took afront to a parent or girl asking me why can't I play X or why am I not batting higher in the line up. I am not in the secret keeping or conspiracy business, I need players that have the skills and can produce where I need them. You will also find it the exception to the rule for any coaches kid (12U and below) to be playing anywhere but infield and pitcher (not that they probably don't deserve to but that is a whole other post).

So after the tournament (a couple days after) just ask the coach...hey I notice DD is playing mostly in the outfield what kind of drills and practice should we be doing at home to improve her skill if she want to play in the infield, when she was playing there earlier in the season she seemed to be doing as good as most of the girls and better than some I just want to make sure we are doing everything we can at home to give her the skills that she needs to help the team be successful.

Feb 3, 2011
I'm hoping I sound calm as I write this, but one fact that seems lost on many parents is that it takes 9 defenders to play comp softball, not 6. It seems I'm having to remind many of the same people of this (I live with one!) day after day during the summer all-star season.

In 10u TB (or comp, select, whatever you want to call it), the outfield is not Exile Island. Teams need strong outfielders, because there's so much action out there. This is not always evident in 8u and 10u REC, but outfielders have a backup responsibility on EVERY single play. One of the more exciting plays you'll ever see is a smart LF gunning a runner out at home after an OT at 3B.

If an infielder makes a mistake, the runner gets an extra base. If an outfielder makes a mistake, that usually means a free run for the other team.

I can say without question that my DD is the best SS on her team right now, but she hasn't played a single inning at that position, because she didn't go out and earn it. (although in our case, Mom wants her pitching and catching every inning :rolleyes:)

In your case, if you're looking specifically for your daughter to play infield and only (or primarily) infield, maybe this isn't the team for her. That's a fair conversation to have with the coach. If you're paying to have her play, then you want to know if your expectations are in line with the coach's program philosophy with regards to player development.

You should also keep in mind that softball today is coached with an 'offense first' mentality in most places. The best hitters are going to be in the lineup and the coaches are going to find a place for them in the field, even if you wouldn't consider them to be strong defenders. That's a reality it takes many parents a while to understand when they're first coming into comp ball.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I once took my best SS at 12U and put her in CF for 14U.
I saw her playing last month (she is now 17) and she is as good a CF
as I have seen and her mom thanked me for turning her into OF.

One thing I do have to agree with is OFFENSE matters if your DD is hitting line drives hits most of the time she is at the plate, the coach will find a place to play her.

Outfield does become more and more important the higher and higher you go in skill and age group but at 10U it is easy to see how some parents feel only the infield matters. 12U seems to be the big jump where you see the outfielders really saving or losing games.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Quick story..I have a friend who wanted his son to play football. Took him to all the lessons, spent a lot of money, but the kid wasn't that good. Amazingly, my friend overlooked that his son was a natural entertainer--he can sing, play almost any musical instrument, and act. His son is now starring on a TV sitcom, and his Dad still thinks his son could have been great at sports.

Seem you are overlooking what your DD can do so that you can say, "My DD plays SS!" You are totally overlooking her true talents...

my kid is the fastest runner on the team. she has the quickest hands, and by far has the greater range at any of the infield positions.

You can't teach speed. If she is as fast as you say, she is an outfielder. Perhaps she should be in CF instead of RF and she should get more PT (playing time), but the coach has got her positioned correctly.

You should teach your DD how to slap, how to bunt, how to correctly field in the outfield, and how to steal bases. Forget the infield, embrace being an outfielder, and enjoy watching her lead off every game.

i know my girl would play harder and better with older kids instead of down like she maybe doing now. but it doesnt seem feasable she would be benched on her current team and be able to make the older squads.

It doesn't work like that. As the talent of the other players increase, the skills that you need to be successful change.

E.g., at 10U, the catchers don't throw many kids out. So, your DD's natural speed doesn't matter much...the slowest kid on the team can steal 2nd. At 12U, there will be catchers who can throw most kids out...so, your DD's speed become more valuable at 12U than 10U.

Similarly, your DD in the outfield may not get any action. In 12U, kids will be sending lots of balls her way.

It goes on and on. My DD had a heck of a time pitching in rec ball...the batters were waiting for walks and the umpires were terrible. She started playing on a TB team, and got to pitch against an 18U team when she was 13YOA. That is when I saw her potential. The batters were aggressive, the umpires were better and the strike zone was bigger. So, my 13YOA DD, the mediocre rec ball pitcher, was a pretty good 18U pitcher.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A classy org can have a team with a poor coach and a poor org can have a team with a classy coach. Make your decision based on what team and coach you will be playing for rather than the org - its not unusual for there to be an orphan team or two in the mix that doesn't get their fair share of the org's resources.

Sounds like the OP may have run into a situation that evolved into daddyball. I'd look at and consider all available options for next year. And a player with good speed should certainly learn to play OF - positional flexibility can open doors (assuming you can hit).

Jun 7, 2012
I once took my best SS at 12U and put her in CF for 14U.
I saw her playing last month (she is now 17) and she is as good a CF
as I have seen and her mom thanked me for turning her into OF.

Every All-Conference SS I've ever coached that has gone on to play in college (Charleston Southern, Eastern Illinois University, Culver-Stockton, etc.) has become a CF. I loved reading on a previous post the importance of instilling excitement for OF play at all levels of softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06