How do you teach tracking the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2008
I have a daughter who is a 9th grader in high school. For the past two years she has worn hard contact lenses, these type of lenses are tough to keep in the eye without falling out. She went to this type of contact lens because we were told by a eye doctor that she could not wear soft contact lenses because she has astigmatism. I have developed a friendship with Howard Carrier this past year after i brought Howard and Crystle Bustos as well as Lovie ann Jung to teach a hitting clinic in Turlock Ca this past May. I mentioned to Howard my daughters problem with her vision and Howard recomended that i speak with Dr Bill Harrision from Dr. Bill Harrison's - SlowTheGameDown. After talking to Dr. Harrision he asked that i send him my daughters prescription so that he might take a look and make any suggestions. Dr Harrision suggested that i take my daughter to a old college classmate of his that had a office in the Modesto Ca area
(Dr Edward Elliott) who i later learned that he is one of the top doctors in his field. My daughter had her appointment today and what a great experience. Not only can my daughter were soft lenses but with these new soft contacts her vision will be close to 20/20. I want to thank Howard Carrier and Crystle Bustos for their support and special thanks to Dr Bill Harrision for taking time out of his busy schedule to help a father and daughter he didnt know. We have been truely blessed with the friends we have because of softball.

Oct 25, 2009
I have a daughter who is a 9th grader in high school. For the past two years she has worn hard contact lenses, these type of lenses are tough to keep in the eye without falling out. She went to this type of contact lens because we were told by a eye doctor that she could not wear soft contact lenses because she has astigmatism. I have developed a friendship with Howard Carrier this past year after i brought Howard and Crystle Bustos as well as Lovie ann Jung to teach a hitting clinic in Turlock Ca this past May. I mentioned to Howard my daughters problem with her vision and Howard recomended that i speak with Dr Bill Harrision from Dr. Bill Harrison's - SlowTheGameDown. After talking to Dr. Harrision he asked that i send him my daughters prescription so that he might take a look and make any suggestions. Dr Harrision suggested that i take my daughter to a old college classmate of his that had a office in the Modesto Ca area
(Dr Edward Elliott) who i later learned that he is one of the top doctors in his field. My daughter had her appointment today and what a great experience. Not only can my daughter were soft lenses but with these new soft contacts her vision will be close to 20/20. I want to thank Howard Carrier and Crystle Bustos for their support and special thanks to Dr Bill Harrision for taking time out of his busy schedule to help a father and daughter he didnt know. We have been truely blessed with the friends we have because of softball.

That really is great news. A problem like that can be a tough issue for a kid.

My concern here is about the doctor who told her she couldn't wear soft lenses. Maybe you should send that doctor to Dr. Elliott, also; for the benefit of other kids who may have the same issue.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
That really is great news. A problem like that can be a tough issue for a kid.

My concern here is about the doctor who told her she couldn't wear soft lenses. Maybe you should send that doctor to Dr. Elliott, also; for the benefit of other kids who may have the same issue.

Networking has its benefits Ed....I met Dr. Bill through Don and now you have helped someone else. The internet is making the world smaller each my friend>

Thanks Howard

Nov 29, 2009
I use a much simpler method its a type of visual lockdown on the ball. I tell my hitter to simply focus on the exact dime sized spot in the middle of the ball they want to make contact with. The focus must be of the intent to see inside the spot as if trying to seei nside the middle of the ball. Hey this has a immediate and positve effect on contact.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I use a much simpler method its a type of visual lockdown on the ball. I tell my hitter to simply focus on the exact dime sized spot in the middle of the ball they want to make contact with. The focus must be of the intent to see inside the spot as if trying to seei nside the middle of the ball. Hey this has a immediate and positve effect on contact.

HG

It is not just about hitting the ball on the tee, it is training them to track the ball to the tee while actually hitting it. They look through the net and I have a stereo system in the middle of my work bench and they load and look while focusing on the red light. Then as they get to toe touch they keep their eyes on the lights and turn their head, using the nose as an indicator and then their eyes track to the ball on the tee. I can see if it happens or not visually. We mark the balls on the tee in the middle of the ball between the two seam area using a V and fill it in with black magic marker, the point of the V is towards the pitcher to remind them the hands are staying inside the path of the ball. There is also a rag glued inside the tee so they will see it after the ball has been hit to remind them to keep their head down during contact.

Thanks Howard

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Tracking is an issue wth many kids hitting off the T. Most want to have the eyes down, instead of looking at the pitcher. I try to use a visual reminder, when hititng into a net off the T. I try to have something behind the net at practice. My dd drew a set of eyes that we put behind the net at our last clinic.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Two things I do are the following...

1. Have them take batting practice against live pitching but instead of having them swing, I have them call where the pitch is going...for instance as the ball is coming in she might yell high and outside or inside, etc. I find this also teaches them discipline at the plate as they come to realize that they can figure out if a pitch is going to be a ball or strike pretty quickly.

2. Second, I pitch wiffle balls to them from a close distance (maybe 20 feet or so); but some of the balls have black tape on them and others don't and they are instructed to only swing at the balls with the tape.

Nov 29, 2009
HG

It is not just about hitting the ball on the tee, it is training them to track the ball to the tee while actually hitting it. They look through the net and I have a stereo system in the middle of my work bench and they load and look while focusing on the red light. Then as they get to toe touch they keep their eyes on the lights and turn their head, using the nose as an indicator and then their eyes track to the ball on the tee. I can see if it happens or not visually. We mark the balls on the tee in the middle of the ball between the two seam area using a V and fill it in with black magic marker, the point of the V is towards the pitcher to remind them the hands are staying inside the path of the ball. There is also a rag glued inside the tee so they will see it after the ball has been hit to remind them to keep their head down during contact.

Thanks Howard

While looking forward before locking onto the ball on the tee is helpfull. Teaching them to see the exact spot you want to make contact with is very simple but extremely effective even with drops and rises. Make it as simple as possible and success will come more easily to the student.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45