How do you make a softball parent happy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
A lot of complaints on this board about crazy parents. Not sure how to make them happy but these are some ideas that come to mind:

1. Constantly reassure them that their DD is the smartest player you have ever met and convince them you need her on the bench to give you coaching advice during the game
2. Coach another sport
3. Zoloft
4. Win a game by blowout, lose a game by blowout, send their DD out to play positions she is not ready for, bat their DD first, bat her last, play her every inning, bench her every inning. Bottom line you can't make everyone happy.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
Ask them where their dd wants to play, and play them at that spot every inning of every game. The parents won't see the mistakes or the blowout through the rosy glasses.

Jul 28, 2008
Tell all the parents who have issues with their DD's playing time that you would be happy a meeting with them at such and such time and place. Then let them know that they need to bring their DD's uniform with them to this meeting.

See who shows up.

Oct 22, 2009
Ask them where their dd wants to play, and play them at that spot every inning of every game. The parents won't see the mistakes or the blowout through the rosy glasses.

They are still going to be unhappy when 5 are trying to pitch at the same time, 5 are fighting for the ball at shortstop, and 2 are shoving each other at 1st base.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The coach who had the best relationship with the parents would tell them regularly that their DDs were awful. He would say it loudly, so that everyone could hear. He abused/teased (depending on how you looked at it) the parents and players unmercifully. Any parents that asked for more playing time had their DD booted from the team. Yes, it was a dictatorship.

Funny thing, the kids loved to play for the guy, because he treated everyone like a pile of uh...clothes. So, there were no favorites.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2009
They are still going to be unhappy when 5 are trying to pitch at the same time, 5 are fighting for the ball at shortstop, and 2 are shoving each other at 1st base.

Unless you were at my game last weekend, when two would be in the dugout watching New Moon on their iPhone, or whatever the heck that was that I almost threw int he trash!

Oct 19, 2009
I can't emphasize the importance of a preseason team / parent meeting to curtail this stuff. I tell them how I'm going to do things upfront and then I stick to it during the season. Make it known upfront and if they don't like it they can leave or complain right then and there and get it over with - or go over my head to the director of our organization. We also do written parent / player agreements. Knock on wood I've not had to deal with that stuff and I think this is largely because of the initial team meeting.

Oct 19, 2009
Buy bacardi on sale, they can add it to the coke while watching the games.
As long as there are no aggressive drunks you will be fine

Yea, till the ump makes a bad call. Bad ump plus booze at a kids game will deteriorate quickly. Seen it first hand. Having the cops haul away someone's dad at a game is not pretty! Especially if he's a big man and doesn't want to go.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Sluggers, I know a coach exactly like that. He was rude to all but a few players and their families - but he coddled the right ones. He was successful and boys fought for the right to play for him. He was a dictator and quickly cut anyone that didn't go along.

I think he has been in the same position for 20 yrs and has a few state trnmnt. wins.

He coached from 6th grade up, so there was no getting away from him.

He married that AD's DD as soon as she was out of HS.

I am a calmer person and I don't like to argue. If you are looking for wins, you want his personality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish