How do you handle going to tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Is her current team holding tryouts and is her spot on the line?

Whose, mine? We have 11 assuming they all stay. He wants one more. Mine is pitcher, 1B, and back up short stop, and I think she's pretty safe. What we really *need* is a catcher, which wouldn't affect my DD's spot. Well, plus my husband's AC which helps ;)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Whose, mine? We have 11 assuming they all stay. He wants one more. Mine is pitcher, 1B, and back up short stop, and I think she's pretty safe. What we really *need* is a catcher, which wouldn't affect my DD's spot. Well, plus my husband's AC which helps ;)

My point is that some teams hold open tryouts for ALL positions and pick the best of the lot so theoretically you are being forced to tryout with the rest. If a coach goes this route they certainly cannot get wrapped around the axle if one of their regulars goes shopping. This is one of many reason we do not do tryouts. We get players via our existing players and parents. So long as you do your part you have a home until you age out.

Aug 26, 2015
I'll start by saying I have a personal issue of being loyal to a fault combined with being a problem solver at heart.....real bad. I've been working on that.

I'm still in REC. Plan to make the jump to TB in the spring of 2017 (though I don't know if DD will hold out that long). Earlier this year, I started researching what the jump will look like (budget, time, dedication, etc.) and so I took DD to a tryout for a team that was "looking for 2 players". I get there and there were 5 girls there including DD. HC gave the impression that they were only looking to add 2 girls. They had 4 total. They had 2 girls there other than DD at the "team practice". She (HC) talked about how good DD was and how she could make an immediate impact, but a decision had to be made in 24 hours because there were others who could fill the spot. Being on the cautious side, I decided against it. Too much didn't fit for me....thanks to DFP. This was back in August I think. Fast forward to now. They only have 5 girls on their roster and are looking to merge with another organization, but still asking for 2 girls.

Looking at that same message board, it seems like the same teams doing the same posts over and over again. Looking for 1 or 2 more. Private workouts welcome. Everything confidential. I even saw a listing for a 10U team that doesn't even have the HC hired, yet.

Jun 12, 2015
Ah, gotcha. Well, if he is planning that he has not said so. But it is an A team in an A organization so if he were to do that I wouldn't hold it against him. I have pretty much no doubt that if he found a girl who pitched and played 1st better than mine, he'd take her and boot mine to another position. We've told our DD she'll be earning her spot much more than on our 8U team where she didn't really have any competition and the coach had known her since she was 5. I think she actually likes the challenge (got that from her dad, I assume - I like security. ;) ). She's the #3 pitcher so I stay nervous about pitching time but I don't see her losing 1B. But, guess we'll see.

Jun 12, 2015
I'll start by saying I have a personal issue of being loyal to a fault combined with being a problem solver at heart.....real bad. I've been working on that.

I'm still in REC. Plan to make the jump to TB in the spring of 2017 (though I don't know if DD will hold out that long). Earlier this year, I started researching what the jump will look like (budget, time, dedication, etc.) and so I took DD to a tryout for a team that was "looking for 2 players". I get there and there were 5 girls there including DD. HC gave the impression that they were only looking to add 2 girls. They had 4 total. They had 2 girls there other than DD at the "team practice". She (HC) talked about how good DD was and how she could make an immediate impact, but a decision had to be made in 24 hours because there were others who could fill the spot. Being on the cautious side, I decided against it. Too much didn't fit for me....thanks to DFP. This was back in August I think. Fast forward to now. They only have 5 girls on their roster and are looking to merge with another organization, but still asking for 2 girls.

Looking at that same message board, it seems like the same teams doing the same posts over and over again. Looking for 1 or 2 more. Private workouts welcome. Everything confidential. I even saw a listing for a 10U team that doesn't even have the HC hired, yet.

Did you see the 10U one looking to add a few players to their solid core of girls...they need pitcher, catcher, 3B and middle infielder or something like that. Ummmm. Who's your strong core exactly? I mean, this is 10U we're talking about. If you need pretty much an entire infield I don't see that as a strong core.

Aug 26, 2015
Did you see the 10U one looking to add a few players to their solid core of girls...they need pitcher, catcher, 3B and middle infielder or something like that. Ummmm. Who's your strong core exactly? I mean, this is 10U we're talking about. If you need pretty much an entire infield I don't see that as a strong core.
ROFL!!! Yeah, that's the one that doesn't have a coach!

Jun 12, 2015
Too funny! I missed that they didn't have a coach either. So, no coach and no infield. Where do I sign!?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

ROFL!!! Yeah, that's the one that doesn't have a coach!

Usually the strong core consists of the DD's of the HC, AC, Team Mom, etc. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad