How do you handle going to tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
Too funny! I missed that they didn't have a coach either. So, no coach and no infield. Where do I sign!?
That part isn't seen on THAT thread. You have to check the history and their current site to know that. They were looking for coaches for 8u - 16u a month or 2 ago. A day later they were looking for players in every age group. Now they are looking for a ton of players, but the HC and AC positions are still open. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to solve the equation. Who knows? A year from now, things could work themselves out. Doesn't look good right now though. Seems like someone decided to bite off more than they could chew. But what do I know? I'm just a lowly rec parent turned coach with no prospects of doing it any further than rec.

Jun 12, 2015
When we had our 8U tryout for the official Paulding county travel team, I think we turned down maybe 3 girls. We didn't get much turnout and pretty much took almost everyone who showed up, to get to 10. Our old coach went to another organization after we left, and they were stuck at 7 forever. Couldn't find any more players. So they took the whole team and went to another organization and are now looking for more girls there. It seems like, at least at my dd's age level, there are enough teams. I'm not sure why they keep starting more. But who knows. I may be missing something. And the team we're on is a 1st year 10U start up team so I guess who am I to talk.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Is her current team holding tryouts and is her spot on the line?

If dd's team makes everyone try out, (which they do) we take that as a green light to go to as many try outs as possible. My dd is a pitcher, so if current coach finds someone to replace her spot as #2 pitcher then at least we have options if we have gone to other try outs.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Jun 12, 2015
If dd's team makes everyone try out, (which they do) we take that as a green light to go to as many try outs as possible. My dd is a pitcher, so if current coach finds someone to replace her spot as #2 pitcher then at least we have options if we have gone to other try outs.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere
That sounds not only fair, but very smart to me.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The softball community is relatively small, and the number of teams peak @ 12U, after that a lot coaches already know who they want and there are a lot of "backroom deals" done before tryouts ever occur at 16U and 18U.

Aug 26, 2015
The softball community is relatively small, and the number of teams peak @ 12U, after that a lot coaches already know who they want and there are a lot of "backroom deals" done before tryouts ever occur at 16U and 18U.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If anyone has a time freeze machine, get it to me now before the craziness ensues.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
But I suppose keeping an entire group together for any length of time is pretty rare?

It is extremely rare to keep a team together from 10s through 18s. Too many kids move, quit, get burned out, get boy crazy, etc. Around 14 things start to settle into place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes