How do you handle a non-performing player?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Looking for some opinions from coaches. Tough question... you pick up players during tryouts, they perform well. During the season, they are not performing well, or maybe having a slump. Do you approach the kid and their parents and offer suggestions for improvement? Move them to another spot and just not say anything? I've seen coaches do both, and I'm just curious for the various reasonings. I know practice time is limited, so it might be difficult to get some extra position work with a player. Would you expect her to work on her own and reevaluate later? Or just look at what you have and juggle positions? Or drop the player and try and pickup another?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've actually seen a coach who knew the technical mistakes a player was making, but refused to tell the girl because he didn't want the girl to get better than his DD. I assume you are not that guy.

My view is that, until college, coaches are teachers. So, your main job is to teach. And, like any teacher, the student has to do homework or she won't improve.

Do you approach the kid and their parents and offer suggestions for improvement?

Yes. Honestly, do you have *any* player that doesn't need to improve? To handle this smoothly, have a mid-year evaluation of all your players. You should be doing that anyway.

Would you expect her to work on her own and reevaluate later?

Of course. On the good teams, the field player work just as much outside of practice as the pitchers and catchers. Tell them what to work on and explain *how* to practice.

just look at what you have and juggle positions?

Of course, depending upon the game. During a mid-week friendly game--who cares? During the championship game of a tournament, you put your best players out there.

Or drop the player and try and pickup another?

You can't be serious. Sports teaches responsibility and teamwork. You, as a coach, made a bad decision. We all do--we're human. Responsible adults "own" our mistakes. You picked her, it was your mistake. The kid didn't do anything wrong--you did.

So, you, as a coach, should not cut a player because she didn't turn out the way you hoped--unless the played lied or deceived you.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Good post Ray. The only thing I have to add is make sure your coaches are available and approachable by players with questions about performance and such. We try to arrange it so that all three coaches are available away from the other coaches after each practice. 2 assistants walk the perimeter of the infields of our diamonds 'looking for weeds and grass' and the head coach inspects the equipment shed to make sure the girls put everything away correctly.

It gives the girls the chance to approach the coach they are most comfortable with, in what could be an intimidating situation. I think that's important for the younger kids who probably don't have a lot of experience advocating for themselves. We make sure the parents know we are available to them during that time as well. We try to linger about 30 minutes or so after practice.

Sep 3, 2009
Good post Sluggers. I agree with everything you've -put down. I've seen, or heard of each one of those scenarios happening, and am just baffled by it. I've always thought of coaches as teachers. If they're not teaching, then they're not coaching.

KAT

May 13, 2008
Ray,

Excellent Post!!! Best I have had the pleasure of reading on this board.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
"How do you handle a non-performing player?"

Well if you are a real coach, you teach them to be the best that they can, and honor your committment to them, just as players honor thiers to you.

If you are a worthless snake of a team "manager", you will try to get rid of her and replace her with someone else because you are incapable of teaching her properly.

Unfortunately, I hear that there are many that fall into the latter category

As performance drops, playing time will drop usually, to a minimum acceptable level.

Get extra work in during the summer travel season? Not easy. Practice 3hrs tues, wed, thurs, travel and/or play friday , sat, sun, travel home monday. Repeat

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you are a worthless snake of a team "manager", you will try to get rid of her and replace her with someone else because you are incapable of teaching her properly.

Hey, I'm the resident cynic on this board!

If you keep this up, I'm going to have to start saying stuff like, "If a girl just gives 100% and believes in herself, she can be an Olympian!"

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Ray- spoken like a very good coach. If the coaches never quit on a player,
the players will return the favor. My favorite was a girl I Coached for a couple years
who had the heart, but was a bit mis-interpreted. I got to know her 1 on 1
to find out what makes her tick. Her rec coach this year was inspired by her play.
We are now very close, and she will walk thru fire for me, (she is playing travel for the 1st time)
Any coach who stops believing in a player is on the wrong side of the fence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles