How do you build team camaraderie?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I need to build some camaraderie on my team. They seem to all get along but I want them to have a vested interest in the team and in each other at least while we are together. How do you all do this?

Jun 24, 2013
Missing a SB practice or 2 isn’t going to hurt my DD, play VB, basketball, baseball, kickball, flag football, dodge ball, water balloon fight, etc. Some kids always seem not to fit in but once you get them going it can be fun for everyone.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
With basically a new team this Fall, and the weather hasn't really been the best we are going to what's called Fright Town (3 haunted houses under an arena) that should be fun :)

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Last year we gave the girls simple topics they had to speak about w the other girls in a group. Family, pets other sports hobbies favorite band school the attend etc just to break the ice and bopefully find common ground

Nov 17, 2010
Drive the team into the woods and leave them there. I guarantee they will come back as one cohesive unit. :)

Jun 24, 2013
At younger ages throwing water balloons at the coaches helps. At younger ages letting them pull each other around on the team wagon helps. Helping them enjoy the game and the whole softball weekend helps also.

We did a team event at our practice building. The first item of the evening had two teams of the players and one team of parents participating in our own version of "Chopped" ~ they got a basket with ice cream, whipped cream, and strawberries in it and they had to use those ingredients (along with a table full of other goodies) to make some type of creation to give to the judges. It was a riot! They got to create their own personal treat, too. Then DH (head coach) and about three sets of parents stayed with the girls for the night at the building. Played hide 'n' seek, ordered pizza, popped popcorn, and watched movies projected onto the wall. They even got a little sleep!

Dec 7, 2011
This will sound defeatist & maybe sexist, and I never thought I would say this about a group of humans, but girls will be girls. THEY choose if they are going to get along, and THEY will decide how long peace lasts....

Looking back I have been amazed in life how unaffectable a group of girls can be (relative to their inner team tightness - and I am NOT just revealing my own limitations as a coach.....)

Morale of the story here - ya better pick em well at draft time.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1