How do you beat the heat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
What strategies do you all use to keep cool during the summer tournaments? What sort of sun shades are best? Has anyone tried swamp coolers or portable AC units? How about power sources? I've seen generators, but they can be loud. Has anyone tried a power cell?

I'm a desert dweller, and I don't think I'll make it through another summer without some serious upgrades.

Jun 20, 2015
i've seen a few portable ice bucket AC units home made with portable battery powered fans that work well. being well hydrated, accustomed to the heat, and staying in the shade when possible are all good first steps.

Oct 4, 2018
I sit in my car with the AC on.

Kidding. I suffer along with the kids. It's amazing to me how tiring *watching* softball games can be. :p

Jun 8, 2016
I sit in my car with the AC on.

Kidding.
That is what I do..one time I did that for the whole day and almost ran out of gas sitting there. Apparently having the AC on full blast for 8+ hours in almost 100 degree temps can use a lot of gas..who knew?

Feb 14, 2019
What strategies do you all use to keep cool during the summer tournaments? What sort of sun shades are best? Has anyone tried swamp coolers or portable AC units? How about power sources? I've seen generators, but they can be loud. Has anyone tried a power cell?

I'm a desert dweller, and I don't think I'll make it through another summer without some serious upgrades.
Find/bring your own shade is number 1...After that we use the Ryobi ONE+ 18V Cordless 4 in. Clamp Fan for ourselves most of the time. When the heat really becomes unbearable we will break out the Ryobi ONE+ 18V Portable Bucket Top Misting Fan and a bucket of ice water which work really well. They both run on the Ryobi battery system, which I already have good number of batteries and chargers from various Ryobi tools I own.

Another thing we do for us and the girls when it's really hot is make up a batch of Florida Water to wipe ourselves down with. I don't pretend to understand the science behind why it makes you feel cooler and more refreshed, but it really seems to work. You can google recipes for mixing it up.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Another thing we do for us and the girls when it's really hot is make up a batch of Florida Water to wipe ourselves down with. I don't pretend to understand the science behind why it makes you feel cooler and more refreshed, but it really seems to work. You can google recipes for mixing it up.
It has ethanol in it which evaporates quicker than water (due to it's lower boiling point) and hence increases the heat transfer. Be careful though, ethanol can be absorbed through the skin and if you put enough on it can be inhaled which isn't healthy..

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
Ha, if our kids have to play the game in the heat, the least we can do is be able to sit in it!

Long sleeve micro perforated tech tee. Light athletic shorts and most importantly, a large straw hat and sunglasses!

If you have to go "assisted" and since you described yourself as a desert dweller, get the bucket mister. Absolutely helps knock off the edge from temps in the 100+ dry heat.

Oct 2, 2017
Ha, if our kids have to play the game in the heat, the least we can do is be able to sit in it!

Long sleeve micro perforated tech tee. Light athletic shorts and most importantly, a large straw hat and sunglasses!

If you have to go "assisted" and since you described yourself as a desert dweller, get the bucket mister. Absolutely helps knock off the edge from temps in the 100+ dry heat.
Key word you said is Dry Heat. Here it isn't dry, its just suffocating humid heat :ROFLMAO:

Feb 14, 2019
It has ethanol in it which evaporates quicker than water (due to it's lower boiling point) and hence increases the heat transfer. Be careful though, ethanol can be absorbed through the skin and if you put enough on it can be inhaled which isn't healthy..
Gotcha...I'll keep that in mind going forward, but I think we're diluting the Florida Water with so much ice water that it won't be a problem.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying