How do we wake these kids up!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I am coaching on a 9u rec team that my DGD is on. Right now we are practicing on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. I don't like the 2 days in a row, but it fits into the adult schedules an we don't work them too hard on the Thursdays. The problem is Saturdays. I go to pick up my DGD and she wants to stay home an sleep. This isn't a 9AM practice, this is a noon practice. We get her moving, she gets ready and she is still dragging. We get to practice and 2/3's of the team is the same way. Any of you have this problem? I have seen a snail move faster than most of them. We try to keep practice interesting and fun but it doesn't work on Saturdays.

May 11, 2009
Al,

Keep changing it up and making it fun for them. Heck our 14U girls are that way on Saturday. We use different drills on Saturday for just that reason. We do the Nitro Olympics and stuff so they will have fun. It gets tough and frustrating.
Stick with it and good luck,

Mike

Feb 8, 2009
I have found noon to be a bad time to practice. Can you pick a time when the kids haven't been laying around all morning?

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
The problem with playing or practicing on Saturday's happens because the normal sleep cycle is adjusted. On Friday night, kids stay up latter than they do on school nights. By deviating your sleep pattern, by just an hour, effects your motor skills and mental acuity. We all know that we need these 2 things to funtion properly. Also, what the kids ate for breakfast could also have an effect on their state of mind.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD team - 1st yr 14U practices at 8 am on either Sat. or Sun. Knowing they have to get up for practice usually ensures they get to bed at a decent hour the night before. It also helps prepare them for those 8 am tournament games.

May 7, 2008
All great suggestions...I am sitting here with my softball and baseball player so I asked them. One responded, "I like the competitive drills like throwing to a bucket at the base." The other responded enthusiastically, "Yeah!! I like the relay throwing drill!" Sparked some excitement on a rainy Monday afternoon, but there's no telling they would show same enthusiasm at a Saturday. I always ensure nutritional breakfast. Some athletes sleep later and grab a quick snack out the door. Someone made a great point about the body clock. Just my take ; ) ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi