How do we achieve "wrist snap"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
Daughter was radared for the 2nd time since switching pitching instructors 15 months ago. While I am thrilled with her fastball speed, her instructor told her that she is NOT snapping her wrist when she pitches (has been trying to get her to snap for awhile). Instructor said if she would snap the ball, she would gain 2-3 mph's.

We have been doing the snap drills since we started with this instructor, but DD still doesn't appear to be doing it in her pitch. Also, instructor want her to build strength in her wrists.

I am fine with building the strength, but is there anything we can do to get her to incorporate that snap in her pitch? We do the drills, but that is not making her put it in the pitch. Help! Please!

*P.S. - instructor said it's a mental thing that young girls go thru (turned 14 three months ago/ 8th grader)

Feb 17, 2011
Most hidden speed is found in the proper whip of the elbow. Fingers and wrist impart spin on ball not so much speed. If she is getting 15+ rps she will have more than enough wrist snap for a fastball. I do not use the word fastball with my dd, it is a peel drop. Also unless she is leaning forward and reaching the ball out toward the catcher at release she has enough wrist snap. At the proper release point, too little wrist snap would put the ball into the ground

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
Have any of you ever had a pitcher that never got it?
I have a couple of girls right now that just don't get it.
I've tried, having them flip into mitts, flip into the wall, and everything I can think of.
I just had one leave to go to another instructor because her parents claim she throws too slow.
I've explained she has no snap off the ball. Maybe another instructor can explain it better? Maybe she just will never get it? Maybe she'll get it one day as she gets older (she's 11).

it seems that some kids get it right away, some get it after a few lessons, some may take up to a year. I don't know of any long term pitchers (over a year) that eventually get it, because all mine have just quit after they never get it.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Have any of you ever had a pitcher that never got it?
I have a couple of girls right now that just don't get it.
I've tried, having them flip into mitts, flip into the wall, and everything I can think of.
I just had one leave to go to another instructor because her parents claim she throws too slow.
I've explained she has no snap off the ball. Maybe another instructor can explain it better? Maybe she just will never get it? Maybe she'll get it one day as she gets older (she's 11).

it seems that some kids get it right away, some get it after a few lessons, some may take up to a year. I don't know of any long term pitchers (over a year) that eventually get it, because all mine have just quit after they never get it.

From what you explained, it sounds like it has little to do with wrist snap and more to do with arm circle and arm whip. IMO, wrist snap is more important for generating spin on the ball and maybe accuracy, certainly not for generating much speed. Fast arm circle + arm whip = 80% of the speed of the pitch. Leg drive and body rotation make up the rest (other than arguably 1 - 3 mph for wrist snap?).

If a pitcher has excellent arm circle and arm whip mechanics, she'll have very good speed.

Oct 22, 2009
From what you explained, it sounds like it has little to do with wrist snap and more to do with arm circle and arm whip. IMO, wrist snap is more important for generating spin on the ball and maybe accuracy, certainly not for generating much speed. Fast arm circle + arm whip = 80% of the speed of the pitch. Leg drive and body rotation make up the rest (other than arguably 1 - 3 mph for wrist snap?).

If a pitcher has excellent arm circle and arm whip mechanics, she'll have very good speed.

I used "wrist snap" because that was how it was being referred to in this thread.
We have been working on her legs. She pushes off--not with much drive, at landing she uses her upper body to lean over and dip leaving her back leg back.
She actually made progress last week and was staying back a bit and using her legs more.

She actually does pull her elbow in and is in great position for a whip snap, but as she nears the bottom, she underloads her wrist, gets under the ball too much then when she feels she's not getting any flip off the ball she shoves her shoulder and guides the ball out. She also leans over when she does this and her hand is about 6 inches from her leg at release.
A lot of things add up for her loss of speed- legs, release and arm whip (at bottom-she doesn't pull straight down she cuts off the bottom).
Her mechanical progress is extremely slow so her speed gain is slow, it doesn't seem to me that she works on any of these at home.

Mar 19, 2009
I used "wrist snap" because that was how it was being referred to in this thread.
We have been working on her legs. She pushes off--not with much drive, at landing she uses her upper body to lean over and dip leaving her back leg back.
She actually made progress last week and was staying back a bit and using her legs more.

She actually does pull her elbow in and is in great position for a whip snap, but as she nears the bottom, she underloads her wrist, gets under the ball too much then when she feels she's not getting any flip off the ball she shoves her shoulder and guides the ball out. She also leans over when she does this and her hand is about 6 inches from her leg at release.
A lot of things add up for her loss of speed- legs, release and arm whip (at bottom-she doesn't pull straight down she cuts off the bottom).
Her mechanical progress is extremely slow so her speed gain is slow, it doesn't seem to me that she works on any of these at home.

I think "Flip" and "wrist snap" are confusing terms especially when you add in the turn the ball over push down and wave mechanics. Maybe try some speed work to get her competitive.

This girl wouldn't fit under the Model Pitchers thread, but she throws the ball extremely hard. She is almost under the ball, but still manages to get great velocity, she throws 64-65.

Attachments

• IR-1.jpg
    IR-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 112
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Jeff, there is nothing wrong with the position of the hand in this picture, it is very common especially when a girl is throwing a riseball. Hand under the ball is quite common and actually a good thing.

Iz, it sounds to me like the term wrist snap is getting in the way, the wrist does not cock back so it cannot snap forward. Doing 'wrist snaps' as commonly taught, with the wrist flipping back and through, will actually encourage bad mechanics. If this is what the coach wants then he does not understand the finer points of the pitching motion.

Jun 24, 2009
From my experience deliberately trying to snap the wrist will slow the speed down quiet a bit and cause the pitcher to throw high and to the glove hand side.

Oct 22, 2009
I think "Flip" and "wrist snap" are confusing terms especially when you add in the turn the ball over push down and wave mechanics. Maybe try some speed work to get her competitive.

This girl wouldn't fit under the Model Pitchers thread, but she throws the ball extremely hard. She is almost under the ball, but still manages to get great velocity, she throws 64-65.

I don't use "wrist snap" with my pitchers, I use "flip". She doesn't get under back behind her like the pitcher above. As she begins to rotate her forearm forward at the bottom, she gets her hand under the ball like a change-up. I think she may be trying to flip the ball but holding on too tight and not getting her thumb off. So she ends up holding on too long.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA