How do Coaches handle the Bench?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
How do you coaches handle the bench? Let's say you have 11 girls, all good players, all capable of playing multiple positions. All hustle in practice, all work hard.

You have a good team. You have good girls.

Who do you sit? And why?

Do you care about any notion of "even steven"?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
With only 11 players this should not be an issue. Play 'em all and it should be pretty easy to appease every player especially with the liberal lineup rulesets that allows for DP and EH's. It becomes an issue with pitcher management. Your starting pitcher is struggling and coach will need to change her out pretty soon, where does the next pitcher come from? Is she in the field or is she warming up? Only 11 players is scary to me. You are skating on razor thin ice.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just me but everyone plays, everyone sits a little. Playing time is not equal.

There is no way all 11 players are the same caliber of player, they need to earn it not to be one of the occasional bench siters.

Some point of your season you are going to need that 11th player, so get her out there before you really need them.

Winning a game is good too, lazy coaches roll out what they think are thier best 9 players and take a nap. Good coaches work hard and play everyone, then take a nap.

Apr 30, 2018
We have 11 on our team. During pool games we rotate and try to keep playing time even. During bracket games, the best 7 play and the remaining four alternate innings. If a game is close in the final innings or goes to ITB then the best 9 play. Playing time is earned in critical moments.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
part of this question is answered in tryouts. if you take too many pitcher only or 1b only, then you have limited flexibility in who plays where. That athletic, utility medium speed player is valuable. 2b, 3b, OF, etc.

Also, what age is this roster of 11? personally, i bet you have 2 sets of twins on that roster of 11, that can swap back and forth almost every inning and not hurt defense. like 2 girls rotating at LF and 2 at 2b. OR catcher #2 and relief pitcher are on bench together to warm up for relief or they are starting next game.

Nov 18, 2015
When it doesn’t impact us defensively, we’ll have the backup pitcher on the bench warming up and ready to go in if the pitcher gets in trouble.

As already mentioned, can depend on depth - if all 11 are interchangeable, can I coach with you? :)

But usually, you’ll know where that cut-off is - top 5/6/7, then rotate the rest in. I don’t like this as much, especially during pool play, but I’m only in an AC role (Assistant Coach or Advise and Consent - same difference! :) ).

We try to use a courtesy runner, but it’s tough at the younger levels when your best athletes, your best runners, and your pitchers and catchers will often be one and the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2019
Depends on age. 10 and 12 u are about developing players. 14 and up it’s about competing. 12u and under we moved them around some, but at 14u they are developing at 1-2 positions.

I like having 10 players, but im a 12U team playing up to 14u. I’ve heard the older teams carry more players. Having to find playing time with 11/12 is a nightmare.l for me. You will never make everyone happy.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I carry 12-13 and have no issues with any of my players complaining about playing time. During Pool Play everyone rotates through and pretty much gets equal playing time. During Bracket play, the best 9 from pool play start. This allows every player to break the starting 9 each week. The others will be trickled in and out through the games.

14U "A" team BTW

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
Don’t start the pitcher or the catcher in the next game. They get plenty of game action, and can afford to sit an inning or two in the next one.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom