How can I fix this hitting problem (video)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2011
I think I'm dropping my shoulder or collapsing. I've been doing it for months but I've just realized it through video. My batting coach and I have tried many things but we just can't seem to fix it.
Here a slow mo of it:

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
You could start with your back arm / elbow higher in the swing. One adjustment.
Practice loading the inside of your rear leg with out swaying back. Think pressing your rear foot into the ground will load the inside of the leg.

When you separate dont sway back. Think Throwing. Hands go back / hips go forward out to toe touch. You create space.

Straightleg

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Dropping a shoulder is not a bad thing if it is done to keep the plane of the shoulders parallel with the plane of the swing.
I see this (or something like it) a lot. the bat drops after loading (or coiling) the shoulders remain relatively level, the swing stays level/flat thru the mid section and the upper body remains upright. looks like your top-hand elbow gets ahead of your hands a bit just before contact but you catch up, and your front elbow remains too close to your body.
look at this clip:

[video]http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/analysis?p=0&n=1&m=20&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=9[/video]
In the video, the plane of his swing is parallel with his shoulders and he tilts at the waist to adjust for pitch location. In your swing your upper body remains straight/upright and your swing is parallel with the ground.

IMHO you have just two things to work on:
1) you need to tilt at the waist and keep your shoulders and swing plane perpindicular to your upper body. Work on this by hitting off a low tee.

2) your front elbow needs to lead the way and then after contact, your extended arms form a "V", then on follow-thru your lead elbow can come in close to your body and your other elbow can come away from your body (the reverse of pre-contact) - Work on one-handed swings(bottom Hand) to correct your lead arm mechanics.

I don't get too technical and I like to keep things simple but I think this is all you need to do to get where you want to go.
good luck!

Last edited:
R

RayR

Dream,

Your hands are initially moving in the down direction....get your hands through quicker....means that they have to move forward initially....

Jan 31, 2010
Hi Dream

Your video shows bat drag. That is when your back elbow gets in front of your hands. When you start your swing, and your back elbow lowers, try to keep your hands close to your rear shoulder as you rotate. Keep your rear elbow directly below the hands.

Good luck!

Apr 2, 2011
He teaches me to keep all of my weight back when I'm turning my hips. He says that shifting forwards makes you lose power. And with my hands he teaches me to take top hand to ball.

Feb 14, 2010
Dream,

Honestly if that's what he's saying I suggest you go to someone else. Read this board and watch video and you can learn all you need to. The info he's giving you is completely wrong.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Agree with Crankermo on that. It's not what you see on high level hitters. Their weight does shift forward before they begin rotation.

Try this: When you shift your hips forward (and you do), make sure your front shoulder goes with your front hip. From that position your front shoulder should be lower than the back. Then start your rotation (hips first, follow by shoulders) from that position. That should take care of it.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
He teaches me to keep all of my weight back when I'm turning my hips. He says that shifting forwards makes you lose power. And with my hands he teaches me to take top hand to ball.
Crankermo is right- end your time with that coach. He is just plain wrong and he shouldn't be accepting money for that kind of advice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse