How about shedding that Tear?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I didn't want to hijack the other "tear" thread but what a great idea to talk about this. So, I thought I'd start a thread on that moment for the rest of us and hope I'm not stepping on toes.

For me, there were a couple. When BB was young and in a very tough game for the championship of a tournament, she was being called names by the other team like, "Four eyes." I've told the story before. However, as that game played out, BB came up and hit her first over the fence home run to win the game. She circled the bases, ran right through her teammates, through the dugout and jumped into my arms crying. It was so incredible.

Two happened this last year. The first was on BB's 50th collegiate home run. She told my wife and I that she was going to do it. That would mean that she would have to hit 4 more home runs than she did the previous year which was a single season record. Then, she went down with the knee injury. I didn't think she would get it done. So, she came up in the first game of a DH against a 1st Team All American and hit a blast. It was #49. My wife and I were so happy as was BB. The next game, she hit #50. I had to walk away from the crowd and behind the bleachers. Another dad followed me there to high five and saw that I was crying. He patted me on the back and said I had much to be proud of.

Finally, BB's team was ranked #1 in the nation. They were playing the #10 Ranked team in the Sectionals to go to the D-II College World Series. We won the 1st game. They won the second. In the third, we fell behind fast. Our #1 was taken out. Our #2 pitched about 5 balls and hurt herself. So, in came our #3. It was not good. We were in the 6th inning and I saw the damn break in BB's eyes after a home run by the other team. I couldn't hold it. She has never cried that much and didn't stop crying from an hour or two. It was hard to take and I knew I couldn't do a thing to help her. It was one of the most horrible feelings I've ever felt.

Nov 29, 2009
We were in the 6th inning and I saw the damn break in BB's eyes after a home run by the other team. I couldn't hold it. She has never cried that much and didn't stop crying from an hour or two. It was hard to take and I knew I couldn't do a thing to help her. It was one of the most horrible feelings I've ever felt.

Know the feeling EXACTLY. Senior year in college. Watched the DD pitch her heart out to take her team from the #8 seed in the conference tournament and lose in the championship game. She was physically at her limits and could do no more. It was the only time I ever saw her cry after losing. All I could do was hug her and cry along with her.

Aug 26, 2015
I didn't want to hijack the other "tear" thread but what a great idea to talk about this. So, I thought I'd start a thread on that moment for the rest of us and hope I'm not stepping on toes.

Not hijacking at all. Very much pleased to see everyone else talk about their "allergic reactions". With the illustrious career your DD had, I know you had many. So, out with it everyone. Talk about your allergies!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It was hard to take and I knew I couldn't do a thing to help her. It was one of the most horrible feelings I've ever felt.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, sold it in the rummage sale.

If you are the number 1 pitcher on a team, you always pitch (and lose) the last game of the year. It sucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619