Hitting video Hall of Shame

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
For me the purpose of that drill is stop squishing the bug and make sure weight gets off the back leg.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Looks like a contact hitter demonstrating a swing component and a power hitter getting optimal energy. Could the two swings be apples and oranges in terms of hitting styles?

That is the problem with an isolated clip without seeing the instruction you can't tell what concept is being conveyed. Her weight shift is problematic if this were supposed to be a good full swing demo. But maybe it is a drill to try to feel better back foot action.

Same thing with the fence drill. call it a drill to learn how to pull an inside pitch and it is fine. Call it a drill for a good swing path in general and it breaks down.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For me the purpose of that drill is stop squishing the bug and make sure weight gets off the back leg.

The drill shown is intended to be a reverse-top-hand drill that is done poorly and promotes pushing of the bat into contact.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We do see things differently. I think that anyone contributing advice should be willing to show real world examples of themselves, their student or their kid executing the instruction.

I think there is some merit to showing kids INTENDING to execute an instruction, even if they're doing it wrong. Good learning can be had from the following discussion (most of the time, anyway). If we were limited to only posting swings of perfect execution, we wouldn't see ANY young hitters.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I think there is some merit to showing kids INTENDING to execute an instruction, even if they're doing it wrong. Good learning can be had from the following discussion (most of the time, anyway). If we were limited to only posting swings of perfect execution, we wouldn't see ANY young hitters.

Absolutely- when I say execute, I mean trying and failing, getting it right, getting it partially right, the whole gamut.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Looks like a contact hitter demonstrating a swing component and a power hitter getting optimal energy]
Never know there was a way to teach contact hitting and power hitting swings. I would teach the same swing mechanics/sequence to every hitter. JMHO.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Sorry to be confusing. The clips appear to me to be a drill and a Team USA at-bat.

It's about the swing pattern being executed by one of the best hitters ever to play softball (Crystl Bustos) vs. a drill that reinforces a COMPLETELY different pattern.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom