Hitting up vs. hitting through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 18, 2015
With my 10U DD, I have been using the Nike symbol as a visual in her mind, short to the ball, on plane to contact, with a slight upward swing on the follow through.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Be careful with allowing that attitude towards her teammates to develop. They might not be at her level, but they are still her teammates.

Last spring, my DD played her final season of rec. Maddie was not only the best player on her team, but one of the top 2 players in the league in 10U. We knew that the game wouldn't be particularly challenging from a physical aspect, so we found a new focus - leadership. She learned a lot about how to be a leader on the field, and in the dugout. We talked a lot about how a good player works on elevating their own game, but a good leader works on elevating the level of their entire team. She was a good example of hard work and dedication during practices, she inspired her teammates to push themselves towards her level, and she made efforts to help the new players learn the skills of the game. As the catcher, she learned how to really be the Field General during games, and how to get the best from her pitchers. One of the best compliments I've ever heard about Maddie came from the mom of a first-time player. She called Maddie "patient and gracious". Her development as a ballplayer took a significant step forward that season.

Eric, we have had the same thoughts. That should scare you!

Before I read Eric's response, my initial thoughts and based upon some of your other posts, is that your dd comes to you and badmouths her teammates. You reinforce her attitude by supporting her in her/your conviction that she is superior to all others. When my dd was younger, a local dad came to me and told me that my dd was now a part of the "Big 4" which used to be the "Big 3." He had taken upon himself to anoint those other girls in the area that were close to being in the same class as his dd and so, he wanted me to know that my dd had not reached the pinnacle of success being compared to his dd. My response was no thanks to being in his elite club. My dd was only as good as her teammates. Per my dd, she was never allowed to talk negatively about a teammate. Why? Because she was not perfect, could not throw he perfect game, could not bat .1000, ...

The other 3 dads then made of point of avoiding him. Eventually, this dad did my dd's team a favor and let his dd play with my dd to create a super team. Yeah right. When it came to pitching the championship game of a big tournament in St. Louis, my dd was picked and his wasn't. So, they walked away and quit the team. I can't tell you how many teams she played on in her career because she was "superior" to her teammates. When they left dd's team, he wanted me to know that my dd would never be as good as his dd, would never have the HS career that his dd would have and would never play at the U. of Texas where his dd was going to play. Yup, she was so good that she was going to play at the U. of Texas. Of the "Big 4," three went on to have outstanding careers in college. One did not. I'll let you guess which player didn't play in college.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Now, some hitting thoughts which I try to avoid. The vast majority of swings involve what many players describe as "swinging down on the ball" which, in reality is swinging on an upward plane. I understand the geometry of those critical and want the pitch plane to match the swing plane but in softball, that ball is coming slightly upward unless it is a high riseball and will level out at some point. I am not a proponent of swinging down like chopping a tree down. I've posted a couple of swings of my dd before on this site. I've posted some stills. My dd's back shoulder is definitely tilted downward and significantly below her front shoulder.

Attachments

• rp_primary_Butler3.jpg
    rp_primary_Butler3.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 38
Aug 26, 2015
Now, some hitting thoughts which I try to avoid. The vast majority of swings involve what many players describe as "swinging down on the ball" which, in reality is swinging on an upward plane. I understand the geometry of those critical and want the pitch plane to match the swing plane but in softball, that ball is coming slightly upward unless it is a high riseball and will level out at some point. I am not a proponent of swinging down like chopping a tree down. I've posted a couple of swings of my dd before on this site. I've posted some stills. My dd's back shoulder is definitely tilted downward and significantly below her front shoulder.

Did she do that on the slower coach pitch, too?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't know what you mean by slower coach pitch? She never played slower pitch from a coach. She hits front toss from me and so, that is the slowest she ever sees. My dd trained to beat the best from the start. She was hitting an old Jugs machine turned up to "60" from 35 feet at a very young age. Now, we all know that those old jugs machines didn't throw 60 on those old settings but still, that is what she trained on. She was taught that if/when she faced slower pitching, look to sit on the ball and drive the ball to right. Trying to pull slow pitching is a recipe for disaster. She was taught to drive the change up up the middle at the pitcher.

As an FYI, look at my signature. I've grown tired of trying to convince anyone that what I did with my dd was beneficial and could help their child. I've grown tired of defending how I taught her so I make posts and state what we do/did. My new advice, and included on my signature, is to avoid my recommendations.

Aug 26, 2015
I don't know what you mean by slower coach pitch? She never played slower pitch from a coach. She hits front toss from me and so, that is the slowest she ever sees. My dd trained to beat the best from the start. She was hitting an old Jugs machine turned up to "60" from 35 feet at a very young age. Now, we all know that those old jugs machines didn't throw 60 on those old settings but still, that is what she trained on. She was taught that if/when she faced slower pitching, look to sit on the ball and drive the ball to right. Trying to pull slow pitching is a recipe for disaster. She was taught to drive the change up up the middle at the pitcher.

As an FYI, look at my signature. I've grown tired of trying to convince anyone that what I did with my dd was beneficial and could help their child. I've grown tired of defending how I taught her so I make posts and state what we do/did. My new advice, and included on my signature, is to avoid my recommendations.

Lol. I only ask because these players were getting coach pitch (slow, high arc on the ball). If it's true fastpitch (from a pitcher, not the coach), that makes sense. There's no need for you to have to defend what you did with your DD. The reality is....her numbers speak for themselves, so as with any opinion, take what you can from it and leave the rest where you got it (that's my philosophy anyway). Sitting on the ball and driving to right is what the AC from last season taught my DD. What those girls that I saw were doing was dropping their shoulders (pre-load) to some location between the belly button and knees. When the ball crossed the plane, they were hitting it almost straight in the air. To me, it didn't look like there were mishitting it. It looked like they were hitting it square (just straight up). They were getting all of the ball pretty much every time.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
IMO, any coach that throws a ball on an arc to any hitter be it baseball or softball does not know what they are doing. It makes it significantly harder to hit that ball. It also makes teaching the swing a lot harder for those attempting to give lessons. JMHO!

Aug 26, 2015
I've never seen a softball player get all of the ball and hit an infield popup. I'd like to see video of that. It's certainly possible to have too much upper-cut and to drop the shoulder too soon, however.
I just called the coach of one of the teams and apparently I wasn't exaggerating. They are teaching them to drop the shoulder to drive the ball high to encourage itp home runs. "We want sluggers for the tournament in Florida. It looks bad now, but just wait til they are sending them out!" Me:....Ok good luck with that!

Aug 26, 2015
IMO, any coach that throws a ball on an arc to any hitter be it baseball or softball does not know what they are doing. It makes it significantly harder to hit that ball. It also makes teaching the swing a lot harder for those attempting to give lessons. JMHO!
Yep. That's what I thought. If you're going to coach pitch. Get it there on a near straight line. Not a rainbow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand