Hitting up vs. hitting through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
She learned a lot about how to be a leader on the field, and in the dugout. We talked a lot about how a good player works on elevating their own game, but a good leader works on elevating the level of their entire team. She was a good example of hard work and dedication during practices, she inspired her teammates to push themselves towards her level, and she made efforts to help the new players learn the skills of the game. As the catcher, she learned how to really be the Field General during games, and how to get the best from her pitchers..

What you said is what I tell her after every practice. Btw, she's a catcher too. With what you said, I wonder if I'm just mistaking venting for being pissed...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What you said is what I tell her after every practice. Btw, she's a catcher too. With what you said, I wonder if I'm just mistaking venting for being pissed...

Sometimes the message is best heard from someone besides dad ;)

When she starts "venting", maybe ask her to come up with an idea of how she can help that player get better at a particular skill that is lacking.

Aug 26, 2015
Sometimes the message is best heard from someone besides dad ;)

When she starts "venting", maybe ask her to come up with an idea of how she can help that player get better at a particular skill that is lacking.

That worked for everyone except one player, who literally doesn't care. Parents are forcing her to play. She has no interest and has no problem showing it. I've explained that you can only help people who want to be helped and control what you can control (leave the rest alone). Come to think of it.....this is the main issue she "vents" about after practice over the past 2 weeks. The rest has subsided. I didn't even throw this under the microscope until you said that. Guess I need to zoom in on how to help her overcome this teammate's attitude. Instead of letting her get in a mood herself.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That worked for everyone except one player, who literally doesn't care. Parents are forcing her to play. She has no interest and has no problem showing it. I've explained that you can only help people who want to be helped and control what you can control (leave the rest alone). Come to think of it.....this is the main issue she "vents" about after practice over the past 2 weeks. The rest has subsided. I didn't even throw this under the microscope until you said that. Guess I need to zoom in on how to help her overcome this teammate's attitude. Instead of letting her get in a mood herself.

That happens with rec ball. In that situation, I would advise my DD to continue to treat the player like a teammate (kindness and respect), but not to expect a change, and not to let it get in the way (as much as she can). It's a waste of energy to try to fix something you can't ever fix.

Aug 26, 2015
That happens with rec ball. In that situation, I would advise my DD to continue to treat the player like a teammate (kindness and respect), but not to expect a change, and not to let it get in the way (as much as she can). It's a waste of energy to try to fix something you can't ever fix.
Basically it sounds like I need to call in reinforcements to repeat what I said in hopes of her listening, huh?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It probably would help for your daughter (and all players) to understand what rec ball is. It's what you make of it. If a kid wants to miss half the practices, or not give it 100 percent, or never practice on their own, that's their choice, within reason. The only consequences are that the player might not play as much in games, but they're not going to get kicked off the team. Their parents pay their money, and their kids have a right to be there.

Travel ball exists to address those problems. Travel ball is designed to bring together players of similar talents and motivational levels. Players don't have a right to be on travel teams. They are invited, and they can be dismissed.

So that's another way of explaining it to your DD. This is what rec ball is. You can't change rec ball, and you can't tell rec players what to make of their rec ball experience. But you can choose whether or not to play rec ball.

Mar 11, 2009
To the OG post, if you want to hit for a high average you want the swing to be on plane with the pitch. That way you still have a chance of hitting the ball early, right on time, and late thru the zone(three chances of hitting the ball to different parts of the field). If your swing is not on plane with the pitch(whether swing plane is down or up) you really only have one spot where the bat and ball will meet and timing has to be near perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs