Hitting the high pitch - Suggestions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
imja61.gif

Good example of a riseball being thrown for a boarder-line strike.

A good pitcher will force a team to swing at riseballs ... because if you don't, you'll be walking back to the dugout.

Sep 17, 2009
As a hitter ... you assess the opposing pitcher. For example, if the opposing pitcher rarely throws their riseball for a strike, then you zone the lower half of the strike zone. Good hitters become excellent hitters when they can reduce the zone where they are looking for a strike.

A pitcher that allows an opposing team to reduce their hitting zone isn't doing their job nearly as well as they could be.

A good pitcher knows that hitters will zone out their weaknesses, and they train to deal with the entire strike zone.

Good hitters know that they will be facing good pitchers in the better tournaments, and they practice so as to deal with it.

FFS would you -- or anyone/everyone else, please -- go into more detail on hitting zone strategies. I agree 100% with the quoted above, but how do you TEACH it to hitters? How do you practice it, etc. How do you then take some basic approaches into a game vs. a pitcher who has her own counter-strategy for the strike zone.

We could make this a great separate thread, or...I don't think it's off-topic of the original how-to-hit-a-high-pitch post...I'd really love some input in this area.

TKs.

ADD: GoingDeep was kind enough to start a new thread (and name if after me, ha, what an honor : >) on this topic and contribute a great first post. I'd love to hear what others think

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-practical/11957-here-you-go-richk-strategy.html

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Do you like or dislike this drill?

I like tyhe concept but I do not like the way it is demonstrated in this video (though it is similar to the on i described earlier in the thread)

Imagining hitting a ball that deep in the zone is totally urealistic.

The angle is far too steep on the rise ball. Thus the bat plane she is working on is not realistic.

Though the ball lined up with the fat part of the bat, the bat angle and hand path would not result in success. I would not want a young player I work with seeing this and mimicing that hand path.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
lhowser, thank you. I took about 12 of his 50 plus drills that I now use. Like any hitting guru you pick out the best and no one has all the answers. In business its called Continuous Improvement. Someone always finds a better way of teaching how to learn to hit. Good example I had a kid last that was LD and what I had used didn't work with her, so I had to adjust. Just as info, John's hitting DVD's are two, with many drills shown. rdbass thanks for posting that link, but it doesn't include his drills and tools he uses.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Do you like or dislike this drill?

The drill as presented is flawed. Part of the issue is that John’s representation of a riseball’s profile, as indicated in this video, is incorrect. The demonstration is basically an arm push.

This is not a knock on John ... but it is a knock on the drill as demonstrated. It's the reason why I advocate following the Hanson Principle.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS would you -- or anyone/everyone else, please -- go into more detail on hitting zone strategies. I agree 100% with the quoted above, but how do you TEACH it to hitters? How do you practice it, etc. How do you then take some basic approaches into a game vs. a pitcher who has her own counter-strategy for the strike zone.

We could make this a great separate thread, or...I don't think it's off-topic of the original how-to-hit-a-high-pitch post...I'd really love some input in this area.

TKs.

ADD: GoingDeep was kind enough to start a new thread (and name if after me, ha, what an honor : >) on this topic and contribute a great first post. I'd love to hear what others think

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-practical/11957-here-you-go-richk-strategy.html

In terms of hitting zone strategies ... the entire team should constantly be analyzing the opposing pitcher to learn if they can gain an advantage via zoning.

If a pitcher has a weakness of not being able to throw consistent strikes in the high zone ... then hitters can "zone low" on that pitcher.

If a pitcher has a weakness of not being able to throw consistent strikes low in the zone ... then hitters can "zone high".

If a pitcher has a weakness of not being able to throw inside for a consistent strike ... then hitters can "zone the outer half".

If a pitcher has a weakness of not being able to throw outside for a consistent strike ... then hitters can "zone the inner half".

If a pitcher has a "go-to" pitch that they use predominately when they need a strike ... then hitters can "zone" that particular location when a strike is needed.

Anytime you can zone a pitcher, you can reduce the area of where you are looking for a pitch, and gain a significant advantage.

A pitcher that allows themselves to be zoned is giving the opposing team an advantage in terms of increasing the opposing team's advantage to hit the ball solid.

When you zone a pitch ... that is when you look for the pitch to come into a particular area ... and the pitch does come in that area ... then contact can be solid ... very solid! The smaller the area that you can zone to, the greater the advantage for the hitter, and should the ball end up in that zone then the more probable that the ball will be "well driven".

Hitters should routinely practice zoning ... at least once/wk if not in every hitting session. There is a huge advantage to having an entire team of hitters that is skilled in zoning.

I advocate a "zoning mindset" when performing nightly dry-swings.

A game that play to help facilitate zoning I call "death". The batter pretends they have a 3-0 count situation. They receive a pitch at normal game speed ... and they zone the pitch ... i.e., they look for the ball to be pitched into an area about the size of 1-2 basketballs in diameter. They are looking for the pitch to be delivered right there ... they begin their swing with the mindset of swinging the barrel to just that reduced area ... and if the ball is not there, then they abort their swing. They are welcome to take a strike if the ball is outside of that zone. The way the game goes .... the hitter receives one swing ... there is no penalty for taking a strike. When they do swing, the goal is a line-drive with authority. Success allows the hitter to advance to the next round ... round 2. The hitter advances one round for every successful line-drive. A swing that does not result in a line-drive ends the game and I shout out ***DEATH***.

I'll cycle through the hitters ... there is a winner for each cycle ... the hitter that makes the highest number of line-drives wins that cycle.

I also have variations of the game ... but the basic idea is to promote zoning and for the hitter to expect a well driven ball as a result.

That's my expectation for zoning on a 3-0 count ... a line-drive with authority. I want to be able to trust my hitters on a 3-0 count. I don't want to have to give them a "take signal" because I can't trust them. They have to prove to me in practice that I can trust them ... and they have to succeed in this game to win my trust. I don't want them to believe that simply putting the ball in play on a 3-0 count is acceptable ... and rather than give them a "take signal", I'll give them the "death signal" ... meaning they are expected to zone this next pitch.

Learning to zone allows hitters to take advantage of pitcher weaknesses relative to certain areas of the plate. Hitters should practice zoning ... and take advantage of pitcher weaknesses.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
FFS, it wasn't my intention to steal your thunder. I just had a few extra minutes on my hands and thought I'd give my pitcher's ( and teams ) perspective on "hitting" strategies.

From a pitcher's view I look for the same weaknesses in the batters box as you are looking for in the circle. First, I can usually tell by the way someone walks or presents themselves on the trip to the box how much confidence they come with. ( it's a look )

Next, is their feet ( mostly the front foot ) are they stepping, turning, stepping in/out, etc.

Next is the stance ( what are they trying to accomplish, runners on? ) open, even, closed.

Next is their head, is it pulling, turning, staying down, flying open.

Next is do they have a short or looping swing.

How are they reacting to a foul? Did they have the WOW look, or was it a look of "I'm on it now"?

How did they react to a particular pitch? Ugly swing, take it, we're they surprised, did they lock up. Did they have the look of "I should have killed that ball". ( the "kill" look usually tells where they like a pitch, I won't be visiting that area code again )

So much body language goes on in the box, you just learn to read it after staring at it for 20 years.

Most every hitter has a weakness, even in MLB. That's why the need for specialty pitchers. The battle between a pitcher and the lineup is like David vs Goliath. The pitcher really must use his brain when tossing a little ball towards 9 guys/gals with a big stick wanting to cram it down your throat. ( I love it )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut