Hitting the high pitch - Suggestions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
All that he said made perfect sense and was the same thing that "dong-ed" on me watching the game. That's why we have worked so hard on the mental approach of the box, sometimes to the small decline of mechanics. Vision, processing the visual data, hand to eye coordination, short bat paths, and pure contact is what we have developed over the years.

GD, this is very interesting and very counter to recent trends in fast pitch I think. It's almost an old-school FP mentality whereas the game has turned much more into a power game (look at college home run numbers).

But, and this is a big but, I think any team/program that has a solid philosophy and excellent coaching can rise to the top. Look at the split-hand Louisiana team (I forget their full name).

I appreciated your recent posts on the mental approach in response to my question on that topic. I've mentioned elsewhere that my 1st year 16U team is going to spend more time this winter on mental approach and simplly *squaring up the ball* (similar to that always-line-drive-hitting team in your story) after a fall in which they got twisted around a bit facing better pitching than they were used to. So I am very intrigued by your experiences...

I find your post very interesting. I'm curious how others will view it.

One question: you don't mention slapping, do you put a high priority on it?

TKS

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
n1bfvr.gif

Split grip: Raging Cajuns

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Rich, I'm going to try to put together some info for you on my views based on college cumulative stats for a season. I'll just grab a set from the 2012 season showing how I see 1b & 2b vs. 3b & HR.

Now the slapper. JMO, you either have to be very good at it or not. ( "not" meaning using it very sparingly ) A good/successful slapper must have the package deal. Great vision, great hands, great speed, great balance, great base running skills, great decision processes for driving a pitch over the infield or driving it into the ground, etc.

To me slapping is the hardest batting situation to develop, a great deal of the "package" are genetic makeups, the smaller % being "teachable" skills. Slapping is hard because 2 objects are in motion closing the gap ( time and distance ) in the possible POC.

We've had only one that I would call a true slapper ( and a handful who "could" slap ) She has all the above mentioned. I've posted before she pretty much taught herself to slap because she had all the genetic and physical components to make it work.

This is her. Scores 80% of the time she gets on...........and she gets on a bunch. ( wish I had her OB% handy )
542854b7e056189b78d44e3f8d38c952.jpg
[/IMG]

Now bunting should be taught to mostly every batter, that's another subject.

R

RayR

While threads are started trying to bait people into picking the "power" swing as the best model...a breath of fresh air from The Hulk....kind of ironic that GOINGDEEP is advocating getting on base....

I freaking love it....hit the ball and pressure the defense to make a play....

Rich, I'm going to try to put together some info for you on my views based on college cumulative stats for a season. I'll just grab a set from the 2012 season showing how I see 1b & 2b vs. 3b & HR.

Now the slapper. JMO, you either have to be very good at it or not. ( "not" meaning using it very sparingly ) A good/successful slapper must have the package deal. Great vision, great hands, great speed, great balance, great base running skills, great decision processes for driving a pitch over the infield or driving it into the ground, etc.

To me slapping is the hardest batting situation to develop, a great deal of the "package" are genetic makeups, the smaller % being "teachable" skills. Slapping is hard because 2 objects are in motion closing the gap ( time and distance ) in the possible POC.

We've had only one that I would call a true slapper ( and a handful who "could" slap ) She has all the above mentioned. I've posted before she pretty much taught herself to slap because she had all the genetic and physical components to make it work.

This is her. Scores 80% of the time she gets on...........and she gets on a bunch. ( wish I had her OB% handy )
542854b7e056189b78d44e3f8d38c952.jpg
[/IMG]

Now bunting should be taught to mostly every batter, that's another subject.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
While threads are started trying to bait people into picking the "power" swing as the best model...a breath of fresh air from The Hulk....kind of ironic that GOINGDEEP is advocating getting on base....

I freaking love it....hit the ball and pressure the defense to make a play....

I've read this 10 times, and I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or agreeing. :)

Maybe ive just picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.
370daef572d34272e972f6bfeb6ccc6d.jpg
[/IMG]

Some of the things I post are no brainers once you read them. ( like duh ) But there are so many people who don't use them, or even incorporate such into tryout/recruiting decisions. This is a game of stratigies, mind and muscle have their equal places.........but the execution of what you have available ( team ) and playing to your strengths and the opponent's weaknesses is where the coach comes in.

Power hitters are great, but rare. They also usually come with higher FO%.

The easiest outs to record, after strike outs, are fly balls/pop flies. It requires only that a defensive player catch a ball, no throw, tag or additional player catch required.

A ground ball requires at least two catches and one throw. Two additional opportunities created for a defensive mistake. Even at the MLB level, making your opponent play the game results in additional defensive mistakes. ( why I advocate a good solid lineup of contact hitters, and I won't cry if a few goes yard from time to time )

Let's take the ole hit n run.

"A Stats LLC study for The New York Times showed that in the early 1990s, the 26 major league teams always compiled a combined 1,500 hit-and-run plays a year. By 1999, despite expansion to 30 teams, 1,204 hit-and-run plays were attempted. By 2003, the number fell to 918. After baseball began drug testing with penalties, home runs started declining and stolen bases began climbing. But the hit- and-run remained a little-used strategy. In 2009, only 848 hit-and-run plays were attempted.
Yet in the last two seasons, more teams started putting runners in motion. In 2011, the majors topped 1,000 hit-and-run plays, with 1,044, for the first time since 2002."

Bob Ojeda, an SNY analyst, said the play makes for “better baseball; it’s the art of the game.” A former pitcher, Ojeda called the hit- and-run “a very effective disruption” because every base runner is a threat, not just the players who can steal. “Anytime you can get me out of sync,” Ojeda said, “you increase the probability of something good happening".

I was looking for some hit n run number stats when I came across this article, thought I'd share but I know Ken said to keep the copy/paste to a minimal. It goes on to express how the threat of the hit-and-run forces defenses to avoid heavy shifts, it distracts the defense, helps pull individual batter out of a slump.......

“If their timing is off, this forces them to just try and make contact,” Maddon said the play could be especially effective as a slump-buster when a hitter was “in maybe mode,” or unsure whether he should swing. “The hit-and-run takes that indecision away from him,” Maddon said, “and sometimes he’ll get a hit that pulls him out of the hole.”

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
OH NO, Not another "just put the ball in play", guy. PULEESE say you were kidding
The perfect hit ball, would be hit about 2 or 3 feet, over a jumping shortstop. Correct mechanics create line drives. If you want to just put the ball in play More often, teach good mechanics, THIS WILL put more balls in play.

That said, SLAPPERS. I love teaching this skill set. TODAY, i had my FIRST TRUE slapper. NEVER PLAYED softball before. Right handed. A sophmore in high school, FAST QUICK SMART EAGER TEACHABLE. In one hour teaching a 3 step slap, Hit top spin, line drives over the infield ,power slap, and slid her hands on the bat for the slap bunt. From tee to live pitching. Amazing.

I find that it can be picked up rather quickly, and used pretty effectivley, itn a short amount of time. I use sometimes with youger kids with fear of batting, one that bail out. For some reason, if you get them moving, it changes the mind set.

"put the ball in play" really? You know what just popped into my head, this is what a head coach would say:) Not a hitting coach.

( i'm both)

R

RayR

Hmmm...I didn't think I was being sarcastic.....

To be clear - Yes, I was agreeing with you....based on this: I believe the style I teach does exactly that, puts the ball in play more often....I am not teaching a style that produces flyballs (as some in my area teach)....this style I use - if hitters are open to it - will get the barrel on the ball more often because of the heavy hand usage it involves....better athletes can then backwards chain into really developing a more powerful swing....but they can always fall back on a solid, put the ball in play swing....

And, no I am not talking about weak, baby swings just to make contact....I am talking about a stripped down swing to learn first that eliminates a lot of "loading" movements as well as inefficient moves they are probably using to begin with....

I understand that there are systems that teach bottom up mechanics....I have no problem with that....I just have had more success with a "Hands" approach to getting them to hit the ball more often in a live or machine setting and gaining their trust to stick with it....stop trying to hit bombs and be happy with line drives to the back of the cage.....

And yes, I agree power hitters are rare even with the bat technology.....my 16U team put a lot of runs on the board last summer, but I can tell you we were more of "doubles" type team....

I've read this 10 times, and I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or agreeing. :)

Maybe ive just picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.
370daef572d34272e972f6bfeb6ccc6d.jpg
[/IMG]

Some of the things I post are no brainers once you read them. ( like duh ) But there are so many people who don't use them, or even incorporate such into tryout/recruiting decisions. This is a game of stratigies, mind and muscle have their equal places.........but the execution of what you have available ( team ) and playing to your strengths and the opponent's weaknesses is where the coach comes in.

Power hitters are great, but rare. They also usually come with higher FO%.

The easiest outs to record, after strike outs, are fly balls/pop flies. It requires only that a defensive player catch a ball, no throw, tag or additional player catch required.

A ground ball requires at least two catches and one throw. Two additional opportunities created for a defensive mistake. Even at the MLB level, making your opponent play the game results in additional defensive mistakes. ( why I advocate a good solid lineup of contact hitters, and I won't cry if a few goes yard from time to time )

Let's take the ole hit n run.

"A Stats LLC study for The New York Times showed that in the early 1990s, the 26 major league teams always compiled a combined 1,500 hit-and-run plays a year. By 1999, despite expansion to 30 teams, 1,204 hit-and-run plays were attempted. By 2003, the number fell to 918. After baseball began drug testing with penalties, home runs started declining and stolen bases began climbing. But the hit- and-run remained a little-used strategy. In 2009, only 848 hit-and-run plays were attempted.
Yet in the last two seasons, more teams started putting runners in motion. In 2011, the majors topped 1,000 hit-and-run plays, with 1,044, for the first time since 2002."

Bob Ojeda, an SNY analyst, said the play makes for “better baseball; it’s the art of the game.” A former pitcher, Ojeda called the hit- and-run “a very effective disruption” because every base runner is a threat, not just the players who can steal. “Anytime you can get me out of sync,” Ojeda said, “you increase the probability of something good happening".

I was looking for some hit n run number stats when I came across this article, thought I'd share but I know Ken said to keep the copy/paste to a minimal. It goes on to express how the threat of the hit-and-run forces defenses to avoid heavy shifts, it distracts the defense, helps pull individual batter out of a slump.......

“If their timing is off, this forces them to just try and make contact,” Maddon said the play could be especially effective as a slump-buster when a hitter was “in maybe mode,” or unsure whether he should swing. “The hit-and-run takes that indecision away from him,” Maddon said, “and sometimes he’ll get a hit that pulls him out of the hole.”

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Look!! Another hitting coach coming to town!!

25a12ad8eef0cdf0492a87218d4140a8.jpg
[/IMG]

That said, SLAPPERS. I love teaching this skill set. TODAY, i had my FIRST TRUE slapper. NEVER PLAYED softball before. Right handed. A sophmore in high school, FAST QUICK SMART EAGER TEACHABLE. In one hour teaching a 3 step slap, Hit top spin, line drives over the infield ,power slap, and slid her hands on the bat for the slap bunt. From tee to live pitching. Amazing.

I'm not saying you didn't have a good workout with the new student, but I don't think you can evaluate her as a "FIRST TRUE slapper" just by one night for one hour. A true slapper is not purely mechanical, she must prove herself against good pitchers who deal with slappers for a "living" over a couple of years and then be successful.

put the ball in play" really? You know what just popped into my head, this is what a head coach would say :)Not a hitting coach.

In no way shape or form would I degrade myself by claiming to be a hitting coach. :) J/K

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619