"hitting the cutoff"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Under what circumstances do outfielders throw to the cutoff?

IMHO, there are only two circumstances in softball where the throw is made to the cutoff...usually:

(1) when there is no play to be made at a base and you are trying to stop further progress of the runners, and
(2) as part of a relay when the outfielder doesn't have the arm to throw to the contested base.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I would guess it depends upon the age group. IMO the upper ages 14-18 Outfielders typically have strong arms and can make throws (obviously some of the weaker teams won't) to the bases. Cuts really only happen if the ball gets behind the outfielders, throws home that are off line, or throws to a different base (OF throwing home, the cut then throws to 2B to get the runner trying to advance)

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
I would guess it depends upon the age group. IMO the upper ages 14-18 Outfielders typically have strong arms and can make throws (obviously some of the weaker teams won't) to the bases. Cuts really only happen if the ball gets behind the outfielders, throws home that are off line, or throws to a different base (OF throwing home, the cut then throws to 2B to get the runner trying to advance)

Took the words out of my mouth. Now, give them back! :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Agree with CoachKevin, most 16U and 18Us have the arm strength to throw directly on a line to the bases if there is a regulation 200 ft (or so) fence as its usually less than a 150 foot throw; however, because its been pounded into them for years by coaches yelling "Hit the Cutoff", most will still actually do that unless they are re-coached and taught when NOT to hit the cut! IME this typically is not an issue with boys, who usually are looking for any opportunity to showcase their laser cannons.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
LL has a lot to do with this problem (both baseball and softball). In our local league, from the time the kids are 6 or 7, every ball hit to the outfield is met with every coach yelling "pitcher, pitcher, pitcher!!!" Even at 12U (majors), the kids are not taught to throw to bases (other than 2B), but to the kid standing in the middle of the infield to stop the base runners. It takes a lot of repetitions in practice to break this habit and have the kids make the correct throws.

Sep 17, 2009
Is this a trick question?

Wouldn't you want your infielders to get in the habit of setting up for a cut on almost every hit to the outfield, needed or not? And the outfielders getting use to throwing hard at/through the cut so the "cutter" and base fielder can choose whether to cut it or let it go?

The rule on our team is if the outfielder does not turn and go back then they throw to the base (14U), although I give leeway to my CF who backs up other fielders and has a really strong arm.

Around here seems like we play a lot of adult softball fields so sometimes when 3,4 and 5 are up we might be playing alot of outfielders at 200 feet, not so much to catch the ball but to prevent "gap home runs", on a 320 ft fence a shot to the gap is a HR if your outfielders are at 175ft or so. My outfielders make throws from over 200 ft all the time so they need to hit the cutoff.

I would think on a regulation field with strong 14U and anything 16U and up they should be throwing to the bases.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Is this a trick question?

Wouldn't you want your infielders to get in the habit of setting up for a cut on almost every hit to the outfield, needed or not? And the outfielders getting use to throwing hard at/through the cut so the "cutter" and base fielder can choose whether to cut it or let it go?

If my dd gets the ball mid rf she can get it to any base or home much faster then if the ball is cut off and then thrown where ever. In softball 14u and up all of your outfielders should be able to make those throws

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Outfielders should always throw "though" the cutoff.....this allows the cutoff to either let the ball go through or cut it off. If the outfielder throws a "rainbow" home, good base runners on base will take an extra base.

Sep 17, 2009
If my dd gets the ball mid rf she can get it to any base or home much faster then if the ball is cut off and then thrown where ever. In softball 14u and up all of your outfielders should be able to make those throws

That wasn't my point. It's about making fielder movements second nature. Are you saying you dont set up cuts on throw homes?Obviously they can make those throws, or I would hope so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06