Hitting hip and throwing inside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
A video from the throwing arm side would be useful. If you're the catcher and the cameraman then have her make a couple of pitches into a fence so you can take video from the side, or even one from the back from just slightly to the right. Hitting the hand on the thigh is a bit unusual, typically it's the forearm that makes contact.
I will get some in a day or two. Thanks.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
It looks like she is beside the ball rather than behind the ball but hard to tell. If she is beside the ball it might be more of a result rather than a cause.
Just wondering what kind of dropball she throws. Peel or Turnover?

Have you ever done the crossfire drill? (search it here or go to paulygirlfastpitch.com under dropball) I do not think this drill would solve the issue just might highlight the flaw that is causing the issue.
She throws a turnover but funny thing is her fb has a tendency to drop sometimes, like she's throwing a peel. Tried to get her to replicate because it had good drop on it but she just couldn't do it. If she had to think about it, she couldn't throw it again on purpose. I'll check out the crossfire drill. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Another question just wondering.
I see she has a non-traditional glove side for a softball pitcher. That is tucking the glove in rather than pulling the elbow down while possibly swimming the glove out. Was this always the case or was this addressing a previous issue?

Oct 7, 2022
I see you're from Florida. You know, I don't usually comment on video's people post, for a variety of reasons. But if you were to fly me down from ice cold Nebraska down to sunny Florida, I think we could fix the issue. Of course, it might take 5-7 days of workouts, in the warm sun, before we get it right. Then I'll have to come down the following month to ensure we have this corrected and we keep her on track!!!! :) (it was worth a try!!!)
Where in Nebraska are you at? We are in Wyoming on the South Eastern side, it's not warm but we could use some pitching help!

Jan 6, 2018
I’m not going to break it all down for the same reason Bill won’t, LOL…but she appears to have a fairly elite drive mechanic and arm whip (as best we can see from this angle) however sometimes when kids with elite mechanics become women with more hips than they used to have. The brain wants to get the hip out of the way but what happens is the actually end up too open (as evidenced by the figure 4 finish in her legs) and that sends the arm/elbow into the bony part of the hip. The solution might be to get the hips closed sooner so the arm/elbow has a softer landing towards the butt and then if she properly delayed pronation she’ll roll around/through the hip and not slam into it.

Easiest way to explain it to her is to have her throw from 9:00 or 10:30 with stationary feet. Have her feel the difference as she tries different levels of hips open/closed from the same arm slot. She may find the more her butt gets in the way vs. the hip bone, the more comfortable she can complete the I/R.

And yeah, work the cross fire drill.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
Another question just wondering.
I see she has a non-traditional glove side for a softball pitcher. That is tucking the glove in rather than pulling the elbow down while possibly swimming the glove out. Was this always the case or was this addressing a previous issue?
She was taught to swim open with her arms, like you see many college pitchers do. However, current PC wanted her to not swim open and pull down. This is where she's at with it right now.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
I’m not going to break it all down for the same reason Bill won’t, LOL…but she appears to have a fairly elite drive mechanic and arm whip (as best we can see from this angle) however sometimes when kids with elite mechanics become women with more hips than they used to have. The brain wants to get the hip out of the way but what happens is the actually end up too open (as evidenced by the figure 4 finish in her legs) and that sends the arm/elbow into the bony part of the hip. The solution might be to get the hips closed sooner so the arm/elbow has a softer landing towards the butt and then if she properly delayed pronation she’ll roll around/through the hip and not slam into it.

Easiest way to explain it to her is to have her throw from 9:00 or 10:30 with stationary feet. Have her feel the difference as she tries different levels of hips open/closed from the same arm slot. She may find the more her butt gets in the way vs. the hip bone, the more comfortable she can complete the I/R.

And yeah, work the cross fire drill.
Ok, yes that makes sense. This issue starting to rear it's ugly head about the time the hips were developing. Also, previous PC had her hips more closed upon release and it didn't happen quite as often as it does now. We'll give this a try. Thank you for your input!

Jan 25, 2022
I'm still learning what are good (and bad) ways to correct flaws, so I'll not suggest anything there.

From my observation, she's definitely avoiding the hip. I don't know if she had brush before this started, but there isn't any now that I can see. Some girls don't, but if she used to and doesn't now, that alone could affect her accuracy. I'm guessing the lack of brush is because she's avoiding the hip as opposed to just not ever having had brush to begin with.

If I'm just looking at this video and offering critique, I see a torso rotated ahead of the hips and slightly right-side tilted, rather than rotated slightly behind the hips and stacked shoulder/hip/knee. Hard to tell from the angle but it looks like the hips are lagging just a touch. With that slight lean to the right, if she's moving that way AT ALL at the point of release, it'll push the ball inside. 1 degree of movement equates to something like 7 inches of movement after traveling 43ft.

She's a slight early/forced-opener and as best I can tell, she's forcing the torso open along with the hips instead of driving straight forward and letting the arm circle open the torso, which should in-turn open the hips.

If it's my kid, I'm looking to focus more on not opening the hips so quickly and allowing the upper body rotation to dictate what's happening. If the sequence happens correctly the torso will be behind the hips at the time of release and she'll be able to find the ribcage and get the brush without smashing into her hip.

I said I wouldn't offer correct, but strictly for driving straight out, with my own kid I've found that a basic walk-through to feel the hip and torso position, along with just reminding her over and over about driving straight out, has helped the most.

My .02, from a budding, non-professional instructor. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck