Hitting Advice - college freshman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
tumblr_nomgwfP0ga1usf292o1_400.gif

Here where the 'problem' starts:
tumblr_nomil3biIL1usf292o1_500.gif

Watched your DD's older videos. I still see the 'knob to the ball' in her swings.
Learn to 'turn the barrel to the ball' and your DD will play more and have more pop or your money back.

Compare the cut gif to the 3rd pitch take:

Nov 9, 2013
Here are a few adjustments that will help increase her bat speed/power:

1) Her hands are too close to her body at set-up and throughout the swing. All of my hitters and the three hitters above, including Andre Ethier, all get their hands back toward the catcher before the upper body rotates into the ball. Keeping her hands close to her body throughout the swing causes her to "push" the bat into the ball. Great power hitters want their hands back as the lower body rotates to give the hands and bat enough "runway" to build up speed before impact with the ball.

2) She begins with an open stance, which is fine. Then, she lifts her front foot a little to shift her weight to her back side. The problem is there is such a long delay between her front foot hitting the ground and the initiation of her swing, she loses any benefit from the little load she begins with. I believe she should lift her front leg even higher to really transfer her weight. Then, as soon as the front foot hits the ground, she should begin the violent rotation of her lower body, followed immediately by her upper body.

3) I like her extension and her bat appears to be on a pretty good path after impact with the ball. The way she lets go with the bat is odd and unnecessary. I would have her shorten her finish and keep both hands on the bat.

Good luck!

3)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
tumblr_nomgwfP0ga1usf292o1_400.gif

Here where the 'problem' starts:
tumblr_nomil3biIL1usf292o1_500.gif

Watched your DD's older videos. I still see the 'knob to the ball' in her swings.
Learn to 'turn the barrel to the ball' and your DD will play more and have more pop or your money back.

The swing is being initiated with the upper body. She is an OTT arm swinger.

Jan 9, 2012
Great information. We have lots to work on! Thanks for the tips / analysis.

Clearly I can see she is using arms and leading with the hands - yes on knob to the ball, can remember different coaches teaching that. I have always felt that with her size and strong legs, she should be producing more power.
Related to that but not exactly the same thing - she is not getting any separation. I am still a bit fuzzy on the turn the barrel idea.

Okay, going to work walk ups, self-toss to try and get separation and feel of separation. Any suggestions for not leading with the knob and move to turning the barrel? Is that caused by front elbow? Back Shoulder? Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez