Hit by pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2016
ASA/USA Softball you need to make an attempt to avoid the pitch. Umpire discretion.

USSSA you get the base.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
If I’m not mistaken, PGF essentially uses NFHS rules ... so if the ball is entirely in the batter’s box, the batter does not need to make an attempt to move (although the batter clearly did make an attempt). If the ball is NOT entirely in the batter’s box, the hitter is still required to make an attempt to move ... plus you actually have the chance of the rare “dead ball strike” if the batter prevents the ball from entering the strike zone (i.e., gets hit out over home plate).

Ksphenom is correct that USA Softball does still require an attempt to move, even if the ball is entirely in the batter’s box.

I’ll have to double-check the USSSA book when I get home. I haven’t “memorized” it yet. ;)

I’m guessing the umpire in the video said she did not make an attempt to move (based on the fact that the OP is even asking :) ). Edited to add: Pretty evident she did duck.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
And now that I rewatched the video ...

Two critiques for the umpire: 1) work the slot! Do that and there is no need for #2, which is ... 2) why are you ducking and not tracking the ball? You spent all that money on gear, use it!

Jun 12, 2015
Having seen it live, I don't thinks he was trying to duck out of the way. It looked like she was basically head butting the ball. I guess the context helps too, having watched her throughout the game (very stereotypical diva pitcher). I actually think she ducked INTO the ball. I wish I had another angle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619