Hit by pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Having seen it live, I don't thinks he was trying to duck out of the way. It looked like she was basically head butting the ball. I guess the context helps too, having watched her throughout the game (very stereotypical diva pitcher). I actually think she ducked INTO the ball. I wish I had another angle.
Ha ha ha..........No human being alive would purposely duck their head into the ball. It goes against natural instinct. We are born with certain innate behaviors. one of which is to protect our heads before other parts of the body. Particularly when a hard object traveling 55 mph is involved. (For proof, notice the umpire's head movement) It would be akin to a crippled Zebra walking towards a pack of lions.

Stop with that Conspiracy theory Mom. If she were trying to get hit, she would have just remained still and let the ball hit her in the ribs or back or hips. The pitch was moving inside, the batter recognized it too late, and ducked her head while entering the fetal position. Simple as that.

Jun 12, 2015
No conspiracies, just thought it would be interesting to post it. As for "no human alive" statements, those kinds of generalizations are almost never accurate. ;)

Sep 29, 2014
No conspiracies, just thought it would be interesting to post it. As for "no human alive" statements, those kinds of generalizations are almost never accurate. ;)
To be clear @texasheat is reffering to pitches coming at your head...it is 100% instinct you see it all the time pitch BP behind a net and have a comebacker hit right at your head your hand comes up and you flinch you simply can't help it. Now this does not apply to a batter with a big elbow guard sticking her arm out or just turning so the ball hits you in the butt and not the hip.

Apr 1, 2017
My son always enjoyed getting hit by a pitch. He routinely would end up with 2 or 3x more HBP than next closest teammate. I watched one game where he didn't even flinch as a pitch hit his helmet. We had a conversation on the way home that night about getting the hell out of the way if the ball was at his head....

Jun 12, 2015
My son always enjoyed getting hit by a pitch. He routinely would end up with 2 or 3x more HBP than next closest teammate. I watched one game where he didn't even flinch as a pitch hit his helmet. We had a conversation on the way home that night about getting the hell out of the way if the ball was at his head....

I have definitely known some players who've worked to overcome the instinct. You have to admire the determination to get on base.

Jun 8, 2016
The conspiracy theory comment was presumably in response to your diva comment..you obviously were not fond of this young lady...

If she wanted to get hit by that pitch she would have just turned her shoulder. Looks to me like her natural response to a pitch to her head area was to duck but didn't read the pitch height correctly.

Jun 12, 2015
I don't know her, so I don't have any fondness or lack of fondness for her as a person. But I think if one of our players had acted like she did that game, she wouldn't be on the field very long. No, I'm not fond of that kind of attitude. It makes the game unpleasant.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't know her, so I don't have any fondness or lack of fondness for her as a person. But I think if one of our players had acted like she did that game, she wouldn't be on the field very long. No, I'm not fond of that kind of attitude. It makes the game unpleasant.
Ok, let me rephrase that, you were not fond of her behavior on the field and then extrapolated that feeling to this situation.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Ha ha ha..........No human being alive would purposely duck their head into the ball. It goes against natural instinct. We are born with certain innate behaviors. one of which is to protect our heads before other parts of the body. Particularly when a hard object traveling 55 mph is involved. (For proof, notice the umpire's head movement) It would be akin to a crippled Zebra walking towards a pack of lions.

I agree that very few people would intentionally duck their head into it (why not just turn your shoulder and take it off the back?), but I have seen countless instances of players getting beaned without making any real effort to move. Sometimes they're just not very good athletes and the pitch is coming too fast and it's like they have no idea what's about to happen until DOINK.

Apr 28, 2019

Stop with that Conspiracy theory Mom. If she were trying to get hit, she would have just remained still and let the ball hit her in the ribs or back or hips. The pitch was moving inside, the batter recognized it too late, and ducked her head while entering the fetal position. Simple as that.
Your forgetting about “Coach” on the sitcom Cheers. It looks like HBP. She was in the BB and she made an attempt to get out of the way. Is some associations they don’t require you to attempt to get out of the way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812