Hit by pitch. Limit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I looked back several pages and could not find this. Fogive me if its a repeat question.

Saturday started out wild for my DD. In the first 3 innings she hit 4 batters. The ump comes to us (coaches) and says. If she hits 1 more I have to remove her from the game. I asked under what rule. He says that if a pitcher hits 5 batters she is a safety risk and must be removed. I asked again, under what rule. Is this a general player safety rule and is under the descripancy of the ump, or is there a hard and fast citable rule. He said it was a set rule. I told him that while I understand you don't want girls getting hit, but I don't know of any such rule and could he show me after the game. No I don't have a rule book with me he says. But if she hits another batter she is out.

Is there such a rule? Generally if a pitcher hits 4 batters we would have removed her without the ump having to tell us. But this was an unusual situation. None of those runners scored and she was actually throwing a lot of strikes.

Jan 25, 2011
I think in LL it is in the rules,that if you hit 3 batters in one inning you must remove the pitcher,I may be wrong it may of been a local rule.I seen coaches have the batter crowd the plate, when a pitcher hit there 2nd batter.Thats not right either.

Jun 22, 2008
Dont know about little league, but no other rule set I am aware of has a limit on hitting batters. Were you playing under local rec league rules? Rec leagues many times add in their own rules variations,

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I forgot to mention. We were playing in a tourney. One we have played in for the past 4 years. Its been a PONY tournament every year. When we got there this year I found out that this year it was an unsanctioned tournament. I had my PONY rule book in my bag.

At any rate, the ump told me they were working off of HS rules. And the ump also told me that this was a rule under most rule sets. I was pretty certain he was wrong, but I also knew that it wasn't a real issue until she hit another batter which she did not.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The umpire is a goof and then he makes up something about "all rule sets." Yes, sometimes it is a local rule and I suppose that it could be a HS rule, in your state, but under all rules sets? No.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have seen local rules have a per inning limit, never a per game limit. Also the P can usally come back after that inning. Our umpires get confused by this because the local rules are all over the place. We do not have a local rule, some umps still enfource a variation of the rule some do not. Most agree it is not an ASA rule, it is not.

Jul 28, 2008
Not in any rule set, including little league. Next time smile when he says that and go on about your business. If he does try to remove her, then protest his call based upon the rules.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Not in any rule set, including little league. Next time smile when he says that and go on about your business. If he does try to remove her, then protest his call based upon the rules.

That was my thought. After I questioned him I realized it didn't really matter until he tried to enforce it.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It's not a rule under NFHS, ASA, NSA or USSSA rules. Since those are the only ones I deal with, I suppose it's possible some sanctioning body somewhere out there might have such a rule. But if they do, I've never seen it.

But I have seen things like this added as a special league rule in some recreational leagues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207