Hit and run

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Batters standing at the very back of the box,
With long LATE swings.
YES.

But I think I might laugh if I saw that happening at the College World Series. And then again it might help and work LOL

Jun 8, 2016
Batters standing at the very back of the box,
With long LATE swings.
YES.

But I think I might laugh if I saw that happening at the College World Series. And then again it might help and work LOL
Now that I think about it (aided by your description) I guess I have seen that too.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This really should be called Run and Hit

Because the Running part takes place first.

May 1, 2018
Yeah we do it all the time with speed on first. If the player peeks and it's a swing and miss or a take on a bad pitch, runner 1 slides into second. If it's a hit 1st to third unless ball is hit to SS then they have to make "softball decisions"

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
In softball~
Hit and run looking scenario~
Just as pitcher releases pitch,
immediately
as a runner I am fully going/sprinting.
( not come off the bag stop my momentum and look just keep going)
By the time the batter makes contact
if they miss
i the runner would be in limbo/hung out
so I am continuing to second base no matter what.

Unless they hit a pop up to then scramble/return.

What would the difference be to a straight Steel?
None, runner takes off and immediately sprints to next base.
Can be with batters option to swing green light.

Also could be coach give a hit and run and the runner takes off for the next base and the batter doesn't do anything. Because they sucked in that moment. Lol
No one would know it was actually a hit and run signal got missed.

My question that I posed was how would you know if there is a hit-and-run on or not?

When the runner is doing the same thing as a straight Steel?
Except when the runner is thrown out at 2B and 3B coach loses their mind and yells to batter "that was HIT AND RUN".....then everyone knew signal got missed. :)

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I don't think the hit and run is used as much in softball because the bases are 60'. Unlike baseball, in softball situational hitting is all that is required to move a runner if a straight steal is not possible. Situational hitting in softball would be hitting grounders to the right side when runners are on (doesn't really matter what base they are on). In baseball, a fielded ground ball to 2B is almost always a lead runner out if the runner is not in a hit-n-run.

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
In a good hitters count when you are expecting a fastball, a hit and run can “free the mind” of a hitter who is struggling some or overthinking. This is an often overlooked aspect of the hit and run that has value. Coach said I have to swing no matter what. There’s some mental freedom in that for sure.
Our HC also came up with the idea to "free the mind" of a hitter who was tied up in knots at the plate. It confused the heck out of her the first time he put on the hit and run with no runners on base. But she eventually realized what he was doing and she rolled with it for a couple of tournaments until she finally got out of her mind and told the HC she no longer needed his "help".

Jul 14, 2018
Some good points in bits and pieces, so I’ll cherry pick:

The runner going on the pitch is meant to force the SS to cover 2nd, opening up a larger hole for the batter. It may also draw the center fielder in to back up the throw, creating space behind her and making it harder to change direction to chase a fly ball.

The runner does need to pick up the ball. On a swing and miss (this can be on sound alone) the runner has to slide into second as if it’s a straight steal. On just about any ground ball, they should be going to third (either through the vacated hole or something on the right side where 2B should take the sure out at 1st).

A fly ball hit makes it possible for a speedy runner to score. A fly ball out should give the runner enough time to get back to first.

The enemy of the hit and run is a line drive hit at any fielder, who can make the catch and throw behind the runner for an easy double play.

Like any play, it requires the manager to take into account the speed of the runner and the ability of the batter to put the ball in play.

Pressure on the defense = runs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06