Hit and run

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Few steps after they take off.

To see where the ball was hit (in the air, etc) and adjust accordingly
So are they leaving before the pitcher throws the ball or right after the pitcher has released the pitch?

Jun 8, 2016
So are they leaving before the pitcher throws the ball or right after the pitcher has released the pitch?
On a hit and run you don't try and get as big a jump so you make sure the pitcher releases the ball. If you get thrown out that is on the hitter for not making contact. At least that is how I was taught.

On a straight steal you need to be leaving before the pitcher releases the ball..

Oct 26, 2019
I teach our players (boys or girls) that on a steal (or a hit and run) they need to “see contact”. It’s always a good idea to keep your eye on the ball.

curious what everyone thinks the purpose or the offensive advantage is to a hit and run. What is the ideal outcome? I know how I feel, but everyone’s usually differs on this one.

Jun 8, 2016
What is the ideal outcome?
2 Run HR? :p

Seriously though, since the batter is giving him(her)self up to some extent, first and third is probably the best outcome you can hope for consistently and the second best (consistent) outcome would be you move the runner over.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
On a hit and run you don't try and get as big a jump so you make sure the pitcher releases the ball. If you get thrown out that is on the hitter for not making contact. At least that is how I was taught.

On a straight steal you need to be leaving before the pitcher releases the ball..
exactly what I imagined.

Also because the pitcher could still be picking you off at first. Holding runner back.

More detail, correct me please if this is wrong...
BB
A straight Steel the runner is leaving before the pitcher has released the ball. And a hit and run the runner is leaving after the pitcher releases the ball.

So you can tell what the play might be because of what the runner is doing?!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
In softball~
Hit and run looking scenario~
Just as pitcher releases pitch,
immediately
as a runner I am fully going/sprinting.
( not come off the bag stop my momentum and look just keep going)
By the time the batter makes contact
if they miss
i the runner would be in limbo/hung out
so I am continuing to second base no matter what.

Unless they hit a pop up to then scramble/return.

What would the difference be to a straight Steel?
None, runner takes off and immediately sprints to next base.
Can be with batters option to swing green light.

Also could be coach give a hit and run and the runner takes off for the next base and the batter doesn't do anything. Because they sucked in that moment. Lol
No one would know it was actually a hit and run signal got missed.

My question that I posed was how would you know if there is a hit-and-run on or not?

When the runner is doing the same thing as a straight Steel?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
This wasn't included in your original question but in that case you wouldn't unless the batter swings at a pitch 2 feet over their head in which case maybe that would give you a clue :p

Oct 26, 2019
In softball~
Hit and run looking scenario~
Just as pitcher releases pitch,
immediately
as a runner I am fully going/sprinting.
( not come off the bag stop my momentum and look just keep going)
By the time the batter makes contact
if they miss
i the runner would be in limbo/hung out
so I am continuing to second base no matter what.

Unless they hit a pop up to then scramble/return.

What would the difference be to a straight Steel?
None, runner takes off and immediately and Sprints to next base.
Can be with batters option to swing is a green light.

Also how many times did a coach give a hit and run and the runner takes off for the next base and the batter doesn't do anything. Because they sucked in that moment. Lol
No one would know it was actually a hit and runs at the signal got missed.

My question that I posed was how would you know if there is a hit-and-run on or not?

You really shouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the two. The usual only give away is when the hitter swings at a terrible pitch….which can still be a good outcome. Sometimes the swing is all it takes to keep the catcher back enough to be the difference between safe and out whether they hit it or not.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This wasn't included in your original question but in that case you wouldn't unless the batter swings at a pitch 2 feet over their head in which case maybe that would give you a clue :p
And
Sometimes batters are swinging and missing on purpose to distract delay the catcher and hold back the infield from moving. AKA stay in their position until the ball is struck or not.

LIKE STRATEGY 👍

Jun 8, 2016
And
Sometimes batters are swinging and missing on purpose to distract delay the catcher and hold back the infield from moving. AKA stay in their position until the ball is struck or not.

LIKE STRATEGY 👍
I don't know Rad..does that really happen in 2022?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii