Hiring an assistant coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Again, do coaching books advocate different styles? Show me the chapter. Just what is the difference? I am not talking about the style you as a coach prefer or that comes naturally to you or that relates to a father/daughter type relationship, but one that creates a successful team of players.

Just because one size doesn't fit all, doesn't mean its discriminatory. (And just because someone wrote a book doesn't mean its worth the paper its printed on - you should always evaluate the source and validity) How do you think the approach a successfull HS FB coach uses would work for the golf or gymnastices team? Despite being played on the same court, men's and women's college basketball are almost 2 totally different games - yet the same coaching approach should be used for both or its discriminatory? As a male who played BB and first coached boys BB before coaching girls SB, I have found that to be effective I must use different approaches to teach each of these groups to be fundamentally sound ballplayers and achieve their potential. And within these groups, further differentiation in instructional methods is necessary to address individual learning styles etc. So, if I'm guilty of discrimination due to teaching girls SB and boys BB differently then I must be even more guilty due to teaching individual kids to throw/hit "differently" because they're lefthanded.

Don't you think a potential coaches answer to the following question would be insightfull?
"What similarities/differences are there between coaching boys BB and girls SB?"
Even take out the BB and SB, and I don't see how this is discriminatory if I ask it of all applicants????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah