Hiring an assistant coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 19, 2009
I will be getting a new assistant coach for a HS team. From what I have been hearing, neither of 2 candidates for the position has much fastpitch experience, so what questions should I ask in determining which one to select.

Thanks

Jan 19, 2009
Thanks so far for the good replies. One of the candidates is a former baseball player who is now an assistant with the boys basketball team and is in his mid to late 20's, and the other played a lot of "rec" softball and has coached something like a 10 or 11 year old modified team a few years ago and is in his late 50's.

I am 55, and think a good blend with youth will help, but I doubt that age can be a factor.

I may need some good questions as this should go to an interview process that will be "scored".

I believe in the Kobata method of fielding and rotational hitting.

Another problem is it would be considered unfair if I went to one or the other and gave them a "heads up".

Jul 26, 2010
Stay away from too many technical questions and get a feel for personality. You want the person who will follow your lead and do what you tell them to do. If you want someone who is great at softball, maybe they should be the head coach and you should assist.

-W

Dec 28, 2008
The keys to success is going to be:
1. Does the assistant bring something to the team that you don't. That doesn't mean they like long distance game you like short game, I'm talking about leadership type skills:
If you get in their face to challenge them, you need to compliment that with someone who will keep them encouraged.
If you don't have good organizational skills, then you need an asst coach who does and help keep things on task etc.
If you are very dry/business like, you need someone who can be dynamic and help stir emotions if situations require it.
Basically if your personality/style is just like theirs then 1 of you won't be needed. While your interview will go better because you'll think "wow this guy is just like me", but in the end the girls will just get double you, instead of getting you PLUS something else.

2. Some questions I would ask would involve their heart: "Why do you want to coach the girls softball team?" "What have you done to research the sport to this point?" "Tell me 3 things that are different between coaching boys and girls?" I'd want to know if this is just a chance to add 2 thousand more dollars to their pockets, or if they are really motivated to help the team improve.

3. I'd also want to find out if they can articulate their faults "What are the top 3 things that you know you've done wrong as a coach in the past and things that I should look for with this team?" If they can't admit things that are realistic, then you are heading for problems. But regardless of sport, if they are humble and can admit their faults, then you can teach them what they'll need to know about the sport, because they'll be open to learn.

Just a few thoughts

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
As a former young player, this stereotype bothers me. There is enough similarity with the methods these days, and this is could be an illegal question in the HS setting, thinking of Title IX and gender bias. This is NOT a question that should be asked.

When you look in any coaching manual, such as ASA, you see no gender difference/-based coaching method. I would say that these books recommend the type that used to be only 'for girls,' ie, the positive rather than negative/yelling method.

Boys and girls both respond to that method. As I have said before, this question or approach implies that girls require "complicated methods" while boys do not.

You could ask, perhaps, what is the difference between coaching fastpitch softball and baseball.

SB - I see absolutely no problem w/ this question, and think the response will provide the greatest insight as to who wil be the better hire. If you've coached both boys and girls, you'd understand that a different approach is required even if you're trying to teach the same thing.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
yeah I am always asked what is the difference between coaching boys and girls...well one thing is that as a male you can't slap the girl on the rear for a good job!!
Truthfully, I coached girls foir the 1st time in 2003 when the Varsity Coach asked me to assist even though I told her I know nothing about it....she said can you coach girls in the OF to crowhop, hit a cutoff, and take proper routes....I said yes....she said then you can coach....everything else just watch me and learn!!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
druer, that was a nice post. I have just picked my assistant coach and much of what was mentioned is what I went by. However, this person was once my assistant coach in basketball. Personally, I need someone who can balance my intensity with some good ole common sense. My assistant will be female and that is handy especially since there are some things girls won't approach a male coach with. I think the need for good female role models is also important. Good luck with your decision.

Jul 26, 2010
I agree with what you're saying Screwball, but to play devils advocate, I have read some coaching/psychological documents that do suggest slightly different styles for boys vs. girls. One thing that comes to mind is the practice of "singling out" players, either for reprimands or accolades. Socially, girls have a stronger desire to "fit in", and even when a coach draws attention to them by saying "Great job, Susie, you executed that beautifully", she could feel embarrassed and singled out which could have the effect that she will try to NOT repeat the behavior that got her the accolade in the first place.

Now, very competitive female athletes do behave a bit more like boys and feed on this kind of attention, but high school is not a very competitive enviornment and has a mix of personalities.

Again just playing devil's advocate, I still think that gender based questions in an interview for a public school is a bad idea.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi