Hips turning gradually or snapping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
I was working with a young pitcher today and your DD and her sound similar. The young girl I was working with today was turning her landing foot past 90 degrees (heel was further forward than toe) and landing with it over the power line. She would try and compensate by bending toward third and swinging her arm around the plant foot. I was trying to have her focus on getting the front foot to point forward toward the catcher, 45 degrees, and land straight down the power line instead of on the third base side of the power line. It's hard to work with groups when there's only limited time.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
I encourage my students to explode into the delivery with strong arm swings into the windmill. We start with the body (hips and shoulders aligned) square or closed to the plate. The action of swinging the pitching arm back will naturally open the body by keeping the hips square to the shoulders. The stride leg should drive forward and high, such that the foot is still airborne when the ball hand passes 12:00. The foot will land naturally at approx 45 deg if the shoulders rotate fully open. I don't teach a hip snap or closure as part of the delivery -- too much precision timing and synchronization of multiple body parts for a young player to master. I'll leave that to those striving to be the next Ueno or Pauly.
Jim

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole