Hips open or closed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Depending on the pitcher and the pitch, there may be more or less torso rotation/movement at release than others.

MA1.JPG
MA2.JPG

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think the more violent snappers are ones who really open up and load the drag leg:

ViolentSnappers.JPG

Replanters are probably even more violent

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Thanks Ken - very interesting sequences you've shown there. What I was trying to refer to was referred to by Rick Pauly in several different threads (I think, hard to keep all this stuff straight) such as this one discussing the Four Points of Resistance; https://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/16837-four-points-resistance-pitching.html (starts discussing it more specifically as "Hip Stoppage" in post #4. Just trying to wrap my head around it...

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
At plant, the body firms up/resists/stops the forward and rotational movement to transfer energy to the whip.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Turn Laces, Knee to Knee, Rick Pauly

Thanks Ken - very interesting sequences you've shown there. What I was trying to refer to was referred to by Rick Pauly in several different threads (I think, hard to keep all this stuff straight) such as this one discussing the Four Points of Resistance; https://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/16837-four-points-resistance-pitching.html (starts discussing it more specifically as "Hip Stoppage" in post #4. Just trying to wrap my head around it...

Tatonka,

You have probably seen this one before, maybe even several times like myself, but I watched it again over the weekend and took something different away. Rick has talked about Hip Torque/Snap in other videos and here he talks about the adduction that leads to the rotation (hip torque/snap/etc.) which also sets up the hip for the brush.

Again, you may have already looked at this but as I did for probably the 100th time, the laces, heal up, knee to knee adduction jumped out more to me than the previous 99 times. I am convinced I spend as much if not more time than most learning all I can about pitching yet I am probably the slowest learner of them all......

Hope it helps!

S3

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
---the laces---

While laces pointed toward home may well be what we want to GENERALLY see, I've found that you have to be careful with that with some pitchers. Wirey tall pitchers often over do that, along with getting the drag-leg knee ahead of the hip. I've often had to back them off of the laces to home, tending more toward laces somewhat out to almost toward home. There is some flexibility in some of these cues, and there should be.

Apr 27, 2016
---the laces---

While laces pointed toward home may well be what we want to GENERALLY see, I've found that you have to be careful with that with some pitchers. Wirey tall pitchers often over do that, along with getting the drag-leg knee ahead of the hip. I've often had to back them off of the laces to home, tending more toward laces somewhat out to almost toward home. There is some flexibility in some of these cues, and there should be.

Though she's not wirey tall, my DD has this problem every time she turns the laces toward home. She tends to over do it and the knee goes flying pass the hips.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
---the laces---

Really good advice and very true with many aspects of the motion. So often folks ask for a series of drills they can use to turn someone into a pitcher. As it turns out, each kid responds to different cues and I might go through 3-5 until something clicks for a kid. "Drag the toenails," "squeeze the knees," "drag the inside of the big toe," "see how quickly and far you can drag the toe" and others. And so it goes with almost every point of focus in teaching the motions...

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Reading through has me asking what is the difference between hand under the ball (palm up) as long as possible versus the hand facing third (palm out) at 9 o’clock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Reading through has me asking what is the difference between hand under the ball (palm up) as long as possible versus the hand facing third (palm out) at 9 o’clock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
There is more loading of the arm palm up, than at 9. Try it and see if you can feel the difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi