High Speed Cameras

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
I am thinking about upgrading my video camera and have seen the high speed cameras offered by Casio, (EX-FH100, EX-FH25). Does anyone have one of these, and if so, which one? Do you find it to be an effective tool in making videos and for analysis? Please let me know as more requests for slow motion analysis and recruiting videos are being asked of me. Thanks

Dec 28, 2008
I've got (and LOVE) the Casio EX-F1 Pro Casio Exilim High-Speed Digital Cameras: EX-F1

It can do up to 1,200 frames per second which lets you see way more than what the human eye allows you to see. It outputs to a Apple Quicktime .MOV files which aren't compatible with everything else out there. But if you have the free Quicktime player on a computer you can go frame by frame by frame and see everything without wondering what happened between frames.

I love to video girls taking their leads, swinging and slapping, diving, sliding etc.

One of my blog posts point to a video I uploaded at a game I attended if you want to see an example. This video was shot at just 600 frames per second, not even the highest speed: Mercer Wins … Mercer Wins | Cross Training Softball

May 7, 2008
Thanks Dalton for the response. I watched the video and it looked impressive. I'm sure that with the right software and watching it at single frame advance will reveal much more that what could be seen with the eyes. You have the F1 and I understand there has been two upgrades since the release of your camera, FH20 and now the FH25. They both have the same body size as yours, but the FH100 comes in a compact body size that fits in the pocket. From what I can tell the only changes they made is in the amount of zoom capacity, (10x instead of 20X), and the size of the flash has been compacted. I think the idea of being able to put it in ones pocket is attractive to me but I am not sure I am sacrificing too much for that luxury. Any thoughts? Thanks again

Dec 28, 2008
Having it more portalbe would definitely be an advantage. I really have to plan the events when/where I'll use my camera because of its bulk so you'll have a very nice luxury I don't have.

Oct 18, 2009
You have the F1 and I understand there has been two upgrades since the release of your camera, FH20 and now the FH25.

These are newer models, but are down-grades rather than upgrades. The F1 continues to be the flagship of Casio's expanding high speed line-up, and retails for exactly the same price as it did more than two years ago, when I bought mine. The newer cameras are smaller, lighter, have more zoom capacity, etc., but all of them have a smaller image sensor than the one in the F1 (which is already not so big), have somewhat smaller maximum apertures, and use a less advanced video compression format (plus other short-cuts). Therefore as far as the potential for producing quality stills and videos is concerned, the F1 remains unmatched.

Whether these differences are significant enough to be worth the price differential between the available models is something that only the individual user can decide. All I can say is, given what I have been able to get out of the F1 for the past two years, it ranks among the best purchases I have ever made.

One caveat: you need to use good quality SDHC cards (class 6) to get the most out of this camera. It can take so many pictures so fast during its unique burst mode that lesser cards would take forever to save them, forcing you to wait between shots, potentially missing some good action as a result.

May 7, 2008
Thanks Renntiger for your imput. I wasn't aware of any of the things you mentioned. I honestly didn't even know that some SDHC cards are faster than others. The smaller max apertures will affect the cameras ability in lower light I assume. I do not know anything about video compression formats so I don't know how important this is either. But thanks for taking the time to give me this additional information. I suppose there is more to consider than just the convenience of being able to put it in ones pocket. Rich

Feb 9, 2009
um...I just bought the Kodak Zi8 for $160...it rocks.
It looks like a blackberry, and plugs right into the computer. I can look at shots frame by frame, and then save them at slow motion speeds on my computer. The video I used in my post further down the Pitching Thread page is done at 1/4 the speed...

I'm not sure if you want a camera to do video so you can play it back, or if you REALLY need all the extra bells and whistles, but if you want a good camera to take clear video...check it out.
The Flip camera is good too...

Mar 17, 2010
Chicagoland
I just picked up the Kodak Playsport for $150. It's basically the Zi8 with a slightly smaller playback screen, but is waterproof and has rubberized shell. Fits in my back pocket. There's a thread in Ken's forum on it: http://www.discussfastpitch.com/ken...xcellent-teaching-tool-fastpitch-players.html. It's a breeze to use and DD likes it for instant feedback. We've been working on her hitting and making progress thanks to it. I'm using supplied software along with Kinovea analysis freeware which are amazing tools for us beginners.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
I have theexfh20 & like it for video analysis.....also takes good stills in good light. does not work well in poor light. If you are looking to use the burst mode & then blow up a real nice action pic, this is probably not the camera for you. It works great for what its made for....video analysis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA