High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
to me the one minute is a little ridiculous but whatever
Apparently 'little ridiculous' not to the school and coach.
“early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable!”
You're welcome.....

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Well, again, we hear two different things and please keep in mind that I don't know how sinister your coaching staff is. Apparently pretty sinister. Anyway, when you state that your dd was "yelled at," then I wonder was something called to her attention or was did the coach raise their voice and yell? Those are two different things and I find that players today can't distinguish the difference between the two. Now, if you are standing outside that dugout and some paces away and you hear it, then that is different. I don't know your dd. I do know players and, to be honest, what they tell their parents isn't always the truth. Often, they do something to draw attention to themselves and then, a coach might vent. Again, I don't know what happened here.

MoparFin, you mentioned that you were the coach of a couple of different sports. You are not the softball coach. Just as when you coached whatever you coached, there will be/are parents that don't think you do every thing as they would or that is right. The problem with all this is that the truth is somewhere in between what you think and what the coaches think. I don't think that will ever change.

HS coaches have all kinds of pressures. I have a student/athlete who is not doing well in one particular subject. That teacher wanted me to bench her last night so that the point would be made about grades. I've taught for 30+ years, I take care of my problems myself and don't go to other teachers/coaches to try to get those problems resolved.

Finally, I've learned that in life, a rule that has always stood the test of time for me and mine is, "If you are 5 minutes early, you are 10 minutes late."

Mar 29, 2017
Well, again, we hear two different things and please keep in mind that I don't know how sinister your coaching staff is. Apparently pretty sinister. Anyway, when you state that your dd was "yelled at," then I wonder was something called to her attention or was did the coach raise their voice and yell? Those are two different things and I find that players today can't distinguish the difference between the two. Now, if you are standing outside that dugout and some paces away and you hear it, then that is different. I don't know your dd. I do know players and, to be honest, what they tell their parents isn't always the truth. Often, they do something to draw attention to themselves and then, a coach might vent. Again, I don't know what happened here.

MoparFin, you mentioned that you were the coach of a couple of different sports. You are not the softball coach. Just as when you coached whatever you coached, there will be/are parents that don't think you do every thing as they would or that is right. The problem with all this is that the truth is somewhere in between what you think and what the coaches think. I don't think that will ever change.

HS coaches have all kinds of pressures. I have a student/athlete who is not doing well in one particular subject. That teacher wanted me to bench her last night so that the point would be made about grades. I've taught for 30+ years, I take care of my problems myself and don't go to other teachers/coaches to try to get those problems resolved.

Finally, I've learned that in life, a rule that has always stood the test of time for me and mine is, "If you are 5 minutes early, you are 10 minutes late."

From the way DD explained it, he raised his voice and yelled. She knows the difference. She also knows the difference in raise your voice to be heard as a coach from home plate and she is doing a drill at F4 or yelling to be mean for lack of a better term. I did not hear it because I sit in the outfield, away from the coaches and parents on purpose. I had a little bit of a falling out with the HC of the HS while I was an AC for the JH. Quit coaching because of it.

And yes, you are right about there being a difference between what happens and what the DD tells the parent. Looking back, I think I may have noticed when it happened because I did see her remove her glasses and wipe her eyes like she was crying and noticed he was a little red in the face while talking to her. Again, I didn't hear the volume, but I was sitting pretty far away.

The good part to all of this......

Last game is tonight. No, we didn't make the playoffs.

I asked DD multiple times during the season if she wanted to quit. Her response was always no. Asked her if she is playing next year. She said yes. So that is another good part, she still wants to play.

Mar 29, 2017
Season over. Did not make playoffs. V went 11-9. Not sure about JV cause I lost track. Wasn't to worried about it cause there are no playoffs for JV.

V won against all the really weak teams. Lost most of the games that were against decent teams. No hitting except for 1-2 players. Everyone else is late on the swing, DBSF, casts, swings at stuff in the dirt and over their heads, squishes bugs or drops hands really bad and swings with a big time upper cut. No one really knows how to bunt. Catchers did ok, but weak arms lead to a lot of Sb's at 2nd. Weak outfield that would catch a ball if hit right to them, or glove side, but could not catch a ball hit to hand side or if they had to run back or more then 5-10 steps. Outfield never hit the cuts and would try to shoot home with a nice big, slow rainbow throw. Infield was ok, but bad throwing mechanics and inexperience lead to a lot of missed outs. All in all, it was a weak team that squeaked out some wins against weaker teams.

JV wasn't bad. Same for hitting as V, except for 2-3 that can hit pretty good. Fielding is a little better mechanics wise, but experience is lacking, but that's what JV is for. Catchers were ok for this level. Need to work on arm strength but did ok. She is a freshman, so another year on JV and she should be pretty good for V in two years. JV unfortunately didn't play that many games due to other schools not having a JV. No real surprises for the season, lost to the teams that they should and beat the teams they should. Only have 3 Soph's that will be juniors next year, so we will see if they make V or not. 2 definitely will. One is a pitcher, the only pitcher left on the team. Other one I am pretty sure was already told that she has a certain other position on lock for next year. My DD is questionable. Not playing wise, but HC opinion wise. She's not one of his favorites and it is obvious that he has favorites.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
High school softball is not what I thought it would be. I was hoping for some competition. JV was 18-0 and Varsity was 17-1. This allowed for the teams to be coached like rec league with coach DDs playing SS and booting balls all over the place. Really sucked. There is no hope for better competition, the HC was crying for 4 hours at the last budget meeting about how the school shouldn't count all the students because then they would move to a higher division and playoffs would be too hard. The worst trophy chasing helicopter daddy ball mentality I have witnessed. How can someone be so terrified of competition? I guess we can look forward to more 27-0 victories next year. Ugghh...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12