High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD 3's JV team has had their last 3 games cancelled due to rain or mud. They still have 4 more scheduled for this week. Not sure if any will be rained out, or cancelled due to muddy fields.

Mar 29, 2017
Glad things are getting better for your DD Bob. Things for my DD are getting slightly better. The V coaches are realizing that DD knows what she is talking about and are using her as a resource instead of a punching bag now. HC even had her help argue a call by finding a rule in the rule book because he found out that she used to umpire. She has been helping the lesser experienced players and the coach is opening up to her ideas. He has somewhat stopped yelling at her as bad, but has been a little more positive.

Then again, maybe he is happy we have 4 games left and the season is almost over.

Both teams, JV and V, are still lacking heavily with batting. Bad! My DD was showing the coaches drills for bunts last practice. NO ONE on the teams can really bunt. Only one that ever gets the sign is my DD.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Glad things are getting better for your DD Bob. Things for my DD are getting slightly better. The V coaches are realizing that DD knows what she is talking about and are using her as a resource instead of a punching bag now. HC even had her help argue a call by finding a rule in the rule book because he found out that she used to umpire. She has been helping the lesser experienced players and the coach is opening up to her ideas. He has somewhat stopped yelling at her as bad, but has been a little more positive.

Then again, maybe he is happy we have 4 games left and the season is almost over.

Both teams, JV and V, are still lacking heavily with batting. Bad! My DD was showing the coaches drills for bunts last practice. NO ONE on the teams can really bunt. Only one that ever gets the sign is my DD.

One of my main complaints with my DDs high school team. They don't try to teach much of anything. Just deal with what shows up at the beginning of the season, and rely on the girls that have played travel ball before. We have all kinds of bunting situations this season, where all we need is a bunt to move the runners, and there are girls getting the bunt sign that clearly have NO IDEA how to bunt properly.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We started our area tourney yesterday. In Alabama each class is divided into 4 team areas. The top two from each area tourney advance to one of four regional sites where the top two advance to the state finals. We secured our area berth yesterday with two huge wins which put us in the area championship game Thursday.

I missed the first game which started at 1:00 because of this crap called work. Luckily the opposing team was streaming the game on Facebook Live. It was ugly and we gave up 6 runs in the top of the first. DD tripled in the bottom half to get us 1 back and then the stream cut out and I couldn't get anyone to text me back with updates. I got out of work about 2:45 and found out we had closed the gap to 8-5. The next update came as I was about a mile from the school and we had won. DD then texted me that she had hit a walk-off to drive in the winning run on a 3-2 count with 2 outs.

That put us in the winners bracket final later that night. We were facing our biggest rival who finished the regular season at #2 in the state. Their ace is a D1 committed sophomore that has the best control I have ever seen. She puts the ball exactly where she wants to 99% of the time. My cousin's DD that won three state titles at our HS and then a WCWS at Alabama came and spoke to the girls alone in the locker room before the game. I think that raised up the intensity level and focus for our girls yet they stayed loose and looked like they were having fun. We were able to take the lead in the bottom of the 3rd on a solo shot but they came back in the top of the 4th with 3 runs of their own. DD came up in the bottom of the 5th with a 2 run single to tie it. We held them off for 2 more innings. We started the bottom of the 7th with the top of our line up and they pitched around our girl that had homered earlier. After the next one struck out DD came up. The pitcher left the first pitch over the outside half of the plate and DD put it to the fence in left center scoring the runner from first. The win sends us to regionals and we will play for the area championship on Thursday. We are in good shape because the other two teams will have to win three games to take the championship.

Mar 29, 2017
Never thought I would say this but.....

The season is almost over and I can't wait!

DD1 was yelled at enough that she cried on the bench during her game last night. She got to school and Secretary signed her in at 9:01. She wasn't allowed to play last night in game and didn't find out till the 5th inning that it was because she wasn't in school by 9:00. 1 minute. But she was told how horrible she is and what damage she did to the team cause they needed her for the game and she couldn't get to school on time. I even drove to the game, which was an away game 45 minutes from my house to watch cause its the third to last game. DW drives her to school and said she dropped her off at 8:55. DD2 signed into school at 9:05 and was allowed to play, starting pitcher. Schools are separated by a parking lot, but DD2 still had to get all of her bags out of the trunk, stuff from back of car, etc and walk into office and sign in. I doubt that took 4 minutes.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Never thought I would say this but.....

The season is almost over and I can't wait!

DD1 was yelled at enough that she cried on the bench during her game last night. She got to school and Secretary signed her in at 9:01. She wasn't allowed to play last night in game and didn't find out till the 5th inning that it was because she wasn't in school by 9:00. 1 minute. But she was told how horrible she is and what damage she did to the team cause they needed her for the game and she couldn't get to school on time. I even drove to the game, which was an away game 45 minutes from my house to watch cause its the third to last game. DW drives her to school and said she dropped her off at 8:55. DD2 signed into school at 9:05 and was allowed to play, starting pitcher. Schools are separated by a parking lot, but DD2 still had to get all of her bags out of the trunk, stuff from back of car, etc and walk into office and sign in. I doubt that took 4 minutes.

Yes this does suck. Rules are rules. Our HS school makes the girls run or do extra work even for excused absences. BUT the one question most will ask, is why are they cutting it so close to get to school??? I attended a training session, and the trainer was good but hard. He always said, if you can't start on time, start early! He locked the training room doors at the start time, and didn't allow anyone to come in the room until break time. Lessons learned.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Isn't it interesting how a coach and parent look at this so differently? My first impression is that she is late and you don't see the problem with that. If your scenario is accurate, she still would not have been in class on time. She had the equipment bad etc. to take care of, get to her locker for her books, and then get to class. This translates easily to being 5 to 10 minutes late for class. Also, two teams so two different coaches. The rules for me and and the HC of our HS program are vastly different. For example, I don't make players run a half mile for every time they strike out on a riseball. I'd suggest that the problem is different per who you are. You are correct, the end of the year is near and so, next year, don't subject your dd to this. JMHO!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I know I have probably posted this before but insecure parents who can't help themselves but to cause drama will get their dds cut next year.

Last night, we played a tight game against a school that has a quality staff. That game was a lot of fun and I think that the quality of coaching that took place during that game was outstanding. I get along really well with that staff and so, we could joke some and yet stay focused on the game. They won last night in the bottom of the 7th. We have now split with them but will play them one more time with the game being next week. I look forward to that game.

Why would an umpire walk out to a pitcher in the last inning, tell her she has been illegal all game but now is going to call it? That happened to us. Not only is she not illegal, what he said is impossible. He stated that when she released that ball, she had to be in contact with that rubber. He didn't call it and she couldn't keep her foot in contact with that rubber. IMO, it did affect her but, to be honest, we didn't field that ball and so, it didn't cost us the game. I do question the timing.

I don't understand why parents can't stay away from the dugout. As an FYI, look at my first comment here and take note. I have run one dad out of the dugout two times now.

The wristband system is wonderful. It also slows the game down if used incorrectly. We played a team that took forever to signal in, read, and then throw the darn ball. Let me give an example of forever. Our varsity game started at the same time. We were in the 5th inning when that game finished.

Food is now a problem. I've noticed all of a sudden, every girl on the team has to have mom or dad deliver food during the game. It is driving me crazy. How many times does a coach have to say you can eat after the game? Of course the new trend now is that the sack of food has gatoraid or something else in it.

I could go on and on but have to get to class.

Mar 29, 2017
Isn't it interesting how a coach and parent look at this so differently? My first impression is that she is late and you don't see the problem with that. If your scenario is accurate, she still would not have been in class on time. She had the equipment bad etc. to take care of, get to her locker for her books, and then get to class. This translates easily to being 5 to 10 minutes late for class. Also, two teams so two different coaches. The rules for me and and the HC of our HS program are vastly different. For example, I don't make players run a half mile for every time they strike out on a riseball. I'd suggest that the problem is different per who you are. You are correct, the end of the year is near and so, next year, don't subject your dd to this. JMHO!

You are correct, but here is what I was more upset about. Yes, to me the one minute is a little ridiculous but whatever, its more of the way it was handled.

As a coach (which this is the first year I am not coaching in about 6 years, not for school though) when the player got to the game, I would have told her you are sitting all game because you came to school late. Communicate the issue before the game, it could have even been done on the 45 minute bus ride to the game, or while the V team was warming up, or while the JV team was warming up after the V game. Not yell at her in the middle of the game, out of no where enough to make a player cry on the bench. My DD didn't even ask why she wasn't playing. She was just sitting there and the one AC turned around and started to yell at her. Before the game during warm ups, the JV HC was discussing with my DD where she wanted to play and if she wanted to catch for a little in the game. Game time hits and all of a sudden she is sitting. Not sure who pulled the plug on her playing, but for the JV HC to think she is playing up to right before the game and then all of a sudden she isn't, just isn't right.

When I was coaching field hockey for a high school, if we had players show up late we took it on a case by case basis. Show up 5 minutes or more late to practice, extra laps, something like that. Show up a minute late, get asked where you were, why you were late, don't let it happen again. Make it a routine, meaning it happens again, you sat for start of game or playing time suffered if you weren't a starter. I never got reports from the school showing when students came to school.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA