High School softball will remind you why TitleIX is important

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
JAD- your HS field I nicer than every DIII college field I've seen. Definitely nicer than Tennessee s field prior to building their current one!
Is this a Private school?

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
JAD- your HS field I nicer than every DIII college field I've seen. Definitely nicer than Tennessee s field prior to building their current one!

I think you meant this for me. No it's a public school with an enrollment for classification purposes of 550. Our county replaced four HS around 2010 using a $.01 sales tax. All of them had all new sports facilities built on campus. The competition gyms are even more amazing with the floor sunk below the bleachers. Add in a practice gym that has close to two full court basketball floors and we are set. They definitely took care of everyone and the actual schools are amazing with what they offer. Our old HS was turned into the central county school for special needs children and the softball and baseball fields there were given to the MS. They were built by parental fundraising originally and are pretty dang nice for MS fields now. Much better then the town park we used when I was in HS here. We had to pick up rocks every time we drug the field.

I will say our baseball and softball fields are much nicer than the others in the county. All were built by the same basic design but the way the land is laid out ours are closer together. Our booster clubs really support the programs and the parents get involved to paint and clean them up each season. Our HC is protective of his grass and the pic above from the outfield was taken in January after heavy overseeding in the fall.

We are lucky to have a community behind the program. We have always had good teams but between 2008 and 2012 it was loaded and our town fell in love with softball. Three of the girls made it to the WCWS multiple times. Six of them made the NCAA tourney. One is on Team USA. Five made all conference at one point and the player that lead the NCAA in hits through this years regular season played the last couple of years with this group.

Jul 3, 2013
DD's team shares all facilities(except locker room, they each have their own) with the baseball team. It's a turf field and the girls play fall ball, so they just remove the pitching mound and roll in the temporary fence.

The baseball team has 3 times as many players over the V, JV, and freshman teams. So, they raise more money through their booster club. They have more uniform options and travel money because of that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
For all those talking about fields being built via fundraising, how much does one of these nicer fields cost? Seems like it must have been one helluva fundraising effort, but maybe it's not as pricey as I'm assuming.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

DD was blessed to play on a very nice HS field that rivals many college facilities. I did not see eye-to-eye with DD's HS coach on everything, but he was meticulous in his field maintenance.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
For all those talking about fields being built via fundraising, how much does one of these nicer fields cost? Seems like it must have been one helluva fundraising effort, but maybe it's not as pricey as I'm assuming.

If you have the appropriate land to use, you can do an awful lot with $100,000, especially if you have those willing to volunteer hours to help out. It is a lot of leveling, grading, drainage, irrigation and then clay and sod, fencing, etc. Spend a lot of extra money on the pitching circle... If you are completely refurbishing an existing field you can probably do a lot with $65-75k. if the field just needs a lot of love and care because of neglect maybe you can get by with $50k

Lighting will probably set you back somewhere between $40-60k if you have a volunteer electrician and crane operator. Musco and GE are the go to companies for this. Simple scoreboard installed - around $7k. Outside sound system $3-$4k (don't skimp here). Couple of sets of bleachers (5 rows) - about anywhere between $4k and $10k depending on your needs...

All turf fields like FieldTurf will set you back $500,000 but maintenance is cheaper so over 10 years you can be in front. But if your high school field is not heavily used for other purposes this is probably not the best choice.

Often you can get matching grants from the school district or outright grants. It is always worth asking (and maybe making some noises about TitleIX if you need to provide a nudge) :)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
It isn't as simple as baseball and softball. We have 2 softball coaches and baseball has 5. When we complained this past summer as there was a review of all programs, we were told that cheer-leading has x amount and so, they make up the difference in coaches for girls sports.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles