High school rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
It bugs the heck out of me when I hear “it’s just League night/the B team/JV ...”

I understand the purpose and the intent, but it’s these situations that lead to bad/sloppy habits and ignorance. Especially when, as djcarter pointed out, you have the newer/less experienced umpires on those games.

I’m not saying “those” games should be letter of the law, but they shouldn’t be blown off either. It’s a good opportunity for those newer and less experienced umpires (and coaches!) to learn proper line up card management, substitution rules, etc.

Around here, the JV (high school) and B-Team (middle school) typically get 3 innings after the main game. If we are doing 3 innings, I am good with doing goofy things (bat them all, 3 outs or 9 batters, etc.) to make sure kids all get some playing time. However, if you expect to go more than that, we are getting into “official” game territory and we are going by the book.

I’d rather see JV and B-Teams get full games. A softball DH isn’t usually that big of a deal for umpires.

Baseball has finally moved to full separate games around here (mainly due to the length of the games).

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
We have about 13 I think on our JV team and DD starts and plays defense every inning but in the later innings the coach tends to put in some of the non-starters to hit or play different positions. I would be okay with that - esp if I was one of the parents of those girls - but he's been taking DD out of batting when she is one of the better hitters right now :/
He finally moved her from batting 6/7 to batting 4th this last game because right now she's got the best OPS on the team :rolleyes:

When DD was in MS ball they batted the full roster but our team had maybe 10-11. But they were treated like normal games - but with a time limit and drop dead/revert.
JV still gets 7 innings at least just with wacky rules ;)

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
JV should not be treated like rec ball. Not only is it an injustice to the players and coaches, but it's also an injustice to the umpires. We typically assign some of our newest umpires to work JV before they graduate to Varsity ball, and they need to experience and understand Federation rules in action. Batting the roster and free substitutions do not properly train the umpires on line-up card management, so when they do make it to the Varsity level, they are way behind the power curve.

I've personally experienced partners at the Varsity level who allow crap on line-up cards such as listing a "DH" in the 10th spot of the order (coach is clueless about the proper way to annotate the DP/FLEX on the card, and the umpire accepts it), failure to list players' last names on the card, not knowing how to indicate a substitute entering the game on the card, etc. JV is the place to learn this, not ignore it.

Jun 22, 2019
Jv here is treated exactly the same as varsity. Same rules apply across the board.
Same here JV is the exact same as varsity. They will let you swap around like a showcase during scrimmages, but not games.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I give up at this point. I'm told that JV plays by the "free subs" rule.
Last night I was given a lineup for the other team. First run through - was fine.
Then they started switching it up - a different player was hitting for the #5 in the lineup. Fine whatever.
Next run through - the girl taken out at #5 is now batting #7. Okay I guess you can leave the lineup and come back in at a different spot.

This doesn't even fly in rec but whatever.

Also there was a play where it was a wild pitch by our pitcher. Girl waiting on deck for the other team kicked it and there was a girl on 3rd who came home on it. We probably wouldn't have gotten the ball but I didn't think that was legal either but who cares - it's JV.

I can't wait to play by real rules again :)

Jun 22, 2008
If they are going laying by nfhs rules and there are no special state rules then no, if is not free substitution.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
If I were the score keeper and they were doing all this crap I would refuse to keep anything but the count, outs and runs scored. It's impossible to keep up with all the players moving positions in the batting order and inserting players in the middle of a batting order and then they disappear. I'd call your state association and ask them if it is supposed to be following the same rules as varsity or not.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sep 21, 2017
PA
I give up at this point. I'm told that JV plays by the "free subs" rule.
Last night I was given a lineup for the other team. First run through - was fine.
Then they started switching it up - a different player was hitting for the #5 in the lineup. Fine whatever.
Next run through - the girl taken out at #5 is now batting #7. Okay I guess you can leave the lineup and come back in at a different spot.

This doesn't even fly in rec but whatever.

Also there was a play where it was a wild pitch by our pitcher. Girl waiting on deck for the other team kicked it and there was a girl on 3rd who came home on it. We probably wouldn't have gotten the ball but I didn't think that was legal either but who cares - it's JV.

I can't wait to play by real rules again :)

Man, that's frustrating.

I agree with Comp. If that's how it's going to be played, I wouldn't keep any official stats other than the ones he mentioned. There's no sense driving yourself mad, trying to keep up with the chaos. Just keep your stats, and the heck with everything else.

I can see special circumstances calling for certain games to played in a way to accommodate teams in need (low numbers, injuries), but if each has two full rosters, and a field without time restriction, why not play by the rules?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish