High School Pitching Practice Planning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I've recently taken on assisting working with pitchers at my new high school coaching gig (I never had to worry about working with pitchers, so I only vaguely paid attention previously), and I'd like to know what your thoughts are on planning a pitching practice. At my old school, the pitching coach organized pitching time something like this:

1. Warmup overhand throwing
2. Work on spins (standing sideways to target, tossing to a partner from the 9 o'clock arm position, just working spins)
3. Walk-throughs
4. Long toss
5. Throwing fastballs to location (full motion "warmup")
6. Work, in succession, on full motion pitches (drop, rise, changeup and then whichever other pitches the girls thought they were good at)
7. One-focus skill/drill per practice (one night pitchouts, one night throwing to live batters, one night "simulated innings", one night throwing to slappers/bunters, targeting, i.e. knocking the ball off the tee or throwing into a bucket on its side, etc.)
8. Fun and Games:
-Step back competition--conditions can vary. Starting at 3/4 distance, each pitcher gets 4 pitches. 3 out of 4 strikes earns a step back.
-Milk jugs on a bucket: most in a row.
-Focus game: Each girl gets 10 pitches. Next in line gets to stand on the side of the circle and can yell, sing, dance around, etc., trying to distract the pitcher. Best out of 10 wins.
-Best of 10: Each gets 3 sets of 10. Switch after each 10. Most strikes wins.

I think the total number of pitches ended up being in the 150-175 range per pitcher each night they threw. Pitchers threw five out of seven days in the pre-season, then two to three times a week in practice when games started (two or three games a week).

What suggestions would you make for a high school pitching practice? How would you revise/tweak/scrap the plan above. I really appreciate any suggestions that could help me out. Thanks!

Mike

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
That sounds about like what i would do.

Do you have the catchers? And have you purchased the New England Catchers camp DVD?

The pitchers can also throw to the wall, as a drill and keep walking further and further back.

Have you devised enough pitching rubbers and mats for each girl? If not, I would glue a similar sized board to a runner of outdoor carpeting. Then, come up with a cardboard home plate for each of them. It could also be out of carpeting.

To change up their routine, I sometimes stand a batter in the box. Then you can put a batter on each side of the plate. It doesn't have to be a girl. It can be a trash can, etc.

Another thing that I do to change things up is introduce the 16 inch ball and then, the 14 inch ball. (But, they can get pricy.) They add a different dimension to the ball, w/o adding a lot of weight. Put electrical tape on them and look for the spin. Then, when you hand the girls the 12 inch ball, they say how small it feels. (Make certain that your school allows real balls in the area that they are pitching in.) Good luck and make it fun.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I would warm up with walk-throughs before the long toss. Any jogging or stretching?

Jogging and stretching - yes. We'll jog and do dynamic warmup as a team, then go to pitching. Thanks for the walk-throughs before long toss idea. I'll fix that in the original post.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Mike, I know you probably have thought of this already but at some point in each practice, you also have to work on pitcher defensive practice.

Dec 7, 2011
To me it sounds like maybe a bit more targeting be it friendly competition on knocking the ball off the tee or throwing into a bucket on its side etc.

I get concerned sometimes not enough testing the targeting gets done.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Mike, I know you probably have thought of this already but at some point in each practice, you also have to work on pitcher defensive practice.

Good point. On my former team, our pitchers performed regular infield dailies and drills and took part in our team infield practice. I'll be sure to confirm this with my new team, too. God bless the pitchers - they have so much to do in a practice week - especially the pitchers that can hit!

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
To me it sounds like maybe a bit more targeting be it friendly competition on knocking the ball off the tee or throwing into a bucket on its side etc.

I get concerned sometimes not enough testing the targeting gets done.

I'm wondering if I can work that in with "7. One-focus skill/drill per practice" part. I'll add that to the original post. Thanks!

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Your plan seems good. I would add that this should be a pitcher AND catcher practice, with equal focus on both skills. When I was coaching pitchers for a high school team we also took simulated innings to the next level, imagining we were facing our real rivals and discussing specific strategies for getting the best hitters in the league out (as opposed to just random mystery batters)

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Make sure to add some fun and games. You mentioned the ball on a tee. Here's a few more:
-Step back competition--conditions can vary. Starting at 3/4 distance, each pitcher gets 4 pitches. 3 out of 4 strikes earns a step back.
-Milk jugs on a bucket: most in a row.
-Focus game: Each girl gets 10 pitches. Next in line gets to stand on the side of the circle and can yell, sing, dance around, etc., trying to distract the pitcher. Best out of 10 wins.
-Best of 10: Each gets 3 sets of 10. Switch after each 10. Most strikes wins.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC