High School Parent Problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2012
So, I have posted on here a couple of times, and I have to be honest, the level of knowledge on these boards has helped me tremendously in coaching my team.

To start, I am a 1st year/young (only 26) coach, coaching my first high school softball team (I have been a baseball assistant at the HS level and travel ball assistant at another school). I took over a HS program that won back to back sectionals, but lost 8 starting seniors from last year. I don't have a senior on the roster, so needless to say we are very young.

I implemented an off-season conditioning program that this program has never had before, and the underclassman have shown a lot of improvement in their overall skills as softball players and athleticism. The girls put in a lot of work from November on, and the mood of the team has been fantastic.

Saturday was our first game. We are a 1A school (lowest) playing a weak 4A school (highest). The girls last year lost to this team, but our girls swept both games of the double header (a testament to how hard they have worked).

I used the same starting lineup both games, and we raked the ball the first game (17-7) but they saved their ace for game 2 and it was more of a game (3-0).

Moral was good. Girls were stoked. Parents were happy. Awesome.

Well, about 5 hours later I got a phone call from a sophomore parent who's daughter was the starting SS for the JV team last year. I started a FR at SS who has really been lights out. Unfortunately, the FR is also our #2 pitcher, so she hasn't gotten in as many reps at SS as the SO, just because she has been working with the pitchers.

Well, the parent phone call went something like this. His daughter felt as if she was disrespected, that the JV SS should always have first 'dibs' over a FR, and that his daughter is better than the SS, faster than the 2B, a better defender than the 3B, and a better hitter than the RF (so essentially, one of the best players on the team). His daughter had been sick the week leading up to the game (missed three days of school) and I made the decision to not start her. When she pitch ran, she was picked off base twice (something I brought up to him, and he said that his daughter can't focus when she's not the starter).

He continued to go on and on about how he has coached his daughter her entire life, and he knows she can play at the next level. He went on to ask me if she was going to be a starter, and I said I don't guarantee any of the girls that. He said that he wants to know because if so, his daughter would be better off laying on a travel basketball team. I said 'ok'.

We ended the conversation there. Well, I got another phone call this morning from same dad, saying he wants to talk again. I didn't answer.

Our AD is out of town for spring break, so I feel kinda lost. I have never had this type of problem with a parent before, so I am really confused on what my next step should be. In all honesty, the one girl she was being considered to start over, kinda struggled in both games (1 for 5, dropped a fly ball). She would have been considered to get a look in the OF eventually, but I don't want to succumb to this parent. But, I want to do what is best for the team.

Any suggestions?

Jun 22, 2008
Since when is playing time on a HS team based on the class level of the participants? You are the coach, you have made a decision on who best meets your needs as starters in certain positions. Since this father is also supposedly a coach, maybe you should ask him if you can give him input on how he should run his team. After all, he is telling you how you should run yours.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Some head coaches have a rule that they will not discuss playing time with parents. There are two reasons. The first is that a high school kid should have the assertiveness to discuss concerns with the head coach. That's part of the 'educational process' that school sports are designed to teach. The second is that discussions w/ parents over playing time are generally unproductive and become major distractions.

If it were me, I'd tell the parent that you won't discuss playing time with him, but that you'd be happy to talk w/ the player and address any concerns that she has.

Crab

Crab
Jan 21, 2013
Rocky mount nc
So, I have posted on here a couple of times, and I have to be honest, the level of knowledge on these boards has helped me tremendously in coaching my team.

To start, I am a 1st year/young (only 26) coach, coaching my first high school softball team (I have been a baseball assistant at the HS level and travel ball assistant at another school). I took over a HS program that won back to back sectionals, but lost 8 starting seniors from last year. I don't have a senior on the roster, so needless to say we are very young.

I implemented an off-season conditioning program that this program has never had before, and the underclassman have shown a lot of improvement in their overall skills as softball players and athleticism. The girls put in a lot of work from November on, and the mood of the team has been fantastic.

Saturday was our first game. We are a 1A school (lowest) playing a weak 4A school (highest). The girls last year lost to this team, but our girls swept both games of the double header (a testament to how hard they have worked).

I used the same starting lineup both games, and we raked the ball the first game (17-7) but they saved their ace for game 2 and it was more of a game (3-0).

Moral was good. Girls were stoked. Parents were happy. Awesome.

Well, about 5 hours later I got a phone call from a sophomore parent who's daughter was the starting SS for the JV team last year. I started a FR at SS who has really been lights out. Unfortunately, the FR is also our #2 pitcher, so she hasn't gotten in as many reps at SS as the SO, just because she has been working with the pitchers.

Well, the parent phone call went something like this. His daughter felt as if she was disrespected, that the JV SS should always have first 'dibs' over a FR, and that his daughter is better than the SS, faster than the 2B, a better defender than the 3B, and a better hitter than the RF (so essentially, one of the best players on the team). His daughter had been sick the week leading up to the game (missed three days of school) and I made the decision to not start her. When she pitch ran, she was picked off base twice (something I brought up to him, and he said that his daughter can't focus when she's not the starter).

He continued to go on and on about how he has coached his daughter her entire life, and he knows she can play at the next level. He went on to ask me if she was going to be a starter, and I said I don't guarantee any of the girls that. He said that he wants to know because if so, his daughter would be better off laying on a travel basketball team. I said 'ok'.

We ended the conversation there. Well, I got another phone call this morning from same dad, saying he wants to talk again. I didn't answer.

Our AD is out of town for spring break, so I feel kinda lost. I have never had this type of problem with a parent before, so I am really confused on what my next step should be. In all honesty, the one girl she was being considered to start over, kinda struggled in both games (1 for 5, dropped a fly ball). She would have been considered to get a look in the OF eventually, but I don't want to succumb to this parent. But, I want to do what is best for the team.

Any suggestions?

Hey coach:
I coach high school baseball and am currently dealing with the same. First of all it sounds like to me you are doing a great job and have put in a lot of pre season time preparing for the season. Don't call him back. Wait for your AD to get back. You owe him nothing. You owe the team to play the players that give the team the best chance to win. It sounds like the girl might get a chance as an OF. That's great but don't let it happen due to pressure from the parent. Only if she is better. If this continues cut out the cancer. It will spread quickly. This is your first year. Set the tone and don't be bullied by a single parent. Good luck and keep up the good work

Oct 22, 2012
I told all of the parents at the meeting at the beginning of the year, that if their daughter has a problem with their PT, their daughter should go to the coach because more than anything, I am trying to teach them responsibility. I shouldn't hear from the parents unless their daughters have gone through the appropriate channels. Didn't happen.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Speak with the girl. She may be mortified that her dad called you. If she is truly unhappy, ask her to turn in her uniform. It is difficult, but this dad will only get worse, if he is allowed any wiggle room.

Also, get the recent book by Pat Summit. Sum It Up. You can skip the chapters on her alzheimers, if you want and get to the coaching part. She had to be tough, because she was only 20 years old.

Oct 22, 2012
The problem is, I was probably going to start her tonight in the OF, but now I'm not sure if I should, if it would show weakness on my behalf. Or do I sit her to prove a point that this won't be tolerated? Is my ego getting in the way?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The problem is, I was probably going to start her tonight in the OF, but now I'm not sure if I should, if it would show weakness on my behalf. Or do I sit her to prove a point that this won't be tolerated? Is my ego getting in the way?

This is what I meant when I said that discussing playing time w/ a parent becomes a major distraction. Now, no matter what you do, you're second-guessing yourself. :) It becomes harder to be objective. I would not sit her to prove a point. Try to do what you would've done if the parent had not butted in, IMO.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Speak with the girl.

I had closed out, but just realized - you may be a male. Do not speak with her alone. Have another coach with you or grab a teacher.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd