High School Off-season Conditioning. "Mandatory" or Not

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2008
Does anyone make their off-season conditioning "mandatory"?

If so what are the consequences for coming some of the time or not at all?

Technically, ours cannot be made mandatory. Any ideas?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
What I remember from HS is that the better players only occasionally showed up for the optional training, they had it taken care of themselves and did not need the help.

The marginal or below average players trying to get better showed up, me. :)

Not something I would put consequences around for not attending. Your job is to make it worth thier while to be there, if they are not you need to run some laps.

Jul 26, 2010
How many workouts you can schedule and how "mandatory" you make them will depend entirely on the size of your school, demographics, and in the end, how many kids attended tryouts. In essence, the competition for spots on the team is what is going to drive the players to work harder. If you had 100 girls attend tryouts, you can be more stringent, because those girls will realize they really need to step up to stand out. If you had 20 kids, good luck.

-W

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
It's hard to use the term 'mandatory' when some student athletes play
other sports in HS. My DD main focus is softball, but HS allows her the
opportunity to play other sports.

Jan 15, 2009
You can make them Mandatory without officially making them mandatory by doing things like having an captain keep attendance (but you aren't allowed to look at it). The perception will be that you are looking at that list even if you aren't and the marginal kids who aren't active in other sports or active on their own should get the message that not being there and showing up to tryouts without improving from their previous year will likely end up with a poor result.

IMO you should impress upon your captains that it is their job to get kids to the offseason workouts or know the reasons why the kids aren't there. If they aren't at your workouts because they are working with another sport or another team, then you should be happy that they are working regardless of where. Captain's patience for kids that don't want to put some time into self improvement should be pretty short and if you get input from your captain's at tryout time on who they think is ready to contribute (but you can't ask about offseason attendance) you should be able to get the information you need to help make decisions. In the end, you should take the best kids available at tryouts and captains opinions should be used to help make decisions on the bubble kids filling out the end of the bench.

Some kids are going to work at jobs in the offseason and be pissy about underclassmen passing them by in the offseason, that's their decision, not taking them on Varsity isn't a decision made because of the job, it's made because they are no longer the best at their position. Some kids who work at jobs in the offseason will still be head and shoulders above their peers and can show up raw to the first day of tryouts and be ready to roll the first game of the season. Penalizing the latter for not attending off season workouts is as big a mistake as keeping the former around just because they used to be better.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just an update to all about when people can lift weights. There is a MYTH that lifting weights before you're grown up is dangerous for various reasons. That's false, that's a myth.

Several years ago - a common and joint position statement was issue by the following organization - American College of Sport Medecine (ACSM), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), and the American Pediatric Association (APA) stating that lifting weight by children is safe AND effective.

Here is one of the hundreds of references you'ill find online: NSCA and ACSM Proclaims Strength Training is Good for Kids | Project Swole

With that said, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind:

1) Focus on proper form and technique, not on lifting as much as possible
2) Don't force it upon kids to do it, make it a fun, social activity

MY BEST ADVICE is for dads to do the workouts with their daughters instead of watching them do it. Instead of being a ''boring workout'', it becomes a social activities between the two, something they do together and that will most likely benefit both!!! :)

3) Focus on whole body type exercises and YES, you can use resistance devices, barbells, dumbbells, etc. unlike what some people think.

It has been said that kids should not lift DBs or BBs because it might be too much resistance. Have you ever seen kids on monkey bars or jumping off things? That equates to several times more weight. Their body can sustain it. Just don't emphasize lifting as much as possible in the gym but lifting a challenging weight with proper form.

4) Always have supervision when lifting equipment is involved.

Just so you know, Weight training is the SECOND SAFEST type of physical activity after walking. Distance running or even softball are more dangerous activities. Why is weight training very safe? Done in a controlled environment.

Happy lifting!

Coach Marc

Sep 26, 2008
Hey thanks to all! I actually have pretty good attendance. We lift weights once a week and do the P90X workout for about an hour on the other 2 days. I found a hitting facility that allows players to come $50 per player from Nov.1 to Feb 13th.

However, only 3 sometimes 4 players have taken advantage of it.

As for other sports I have 1 in basketball and as unusual as it sounds 3 in Wrestling! More used to play basketball and I encouraged it. However, the Basketball tossed 3 freshman and a sophomore for them throwing a softball during Christmas break.

Jan 15, 2009
As for other sports I have 1 in basketball and as unusual as it sounds 3 in Wrestling! More used to play basketball and I encouraged it. However, the Basketball tossed 3 freshman and a sophomore for them throwing a softball during Christmas break.

Your still doing the right thing. Don't reciprocate the neandertalism with the basketball coach. Skipping basketball practice or games to go to softball should be punishable (as would any other reason for missing practice or games ) but punishing kids for being active in their free time outside of practice and games should be beneath adults who are supposed to have the overall welfare of the children held first. You should have that discussion with your Athletic Director assuming you have one, or with your principal if you don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad