High School Daddy Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
Great movie. I'd love a remake. So much humor in travel softball.

"it's like everything under 50 pounds has disappeared!"

It was 10U I think, so some of those characters could be maybe 11th/12th grade now. It'd be funny to get a high school era sequel.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Probably a surprise but I agree for travel ball. Will ad a 5.
5. Keeps core of team together.
You have 2 parent coaches with good players and each have a friend you have a solid stable core.

My issue with parents school ball particularly when the start coaching when kid starts playing is:
1. A kid cannot chose the school.
2. It is 4 years.
3. Schools do not seem to control the situation or expect the situation.
4. Many parents involved with children are disasters. If I can chose the parent not so bad and know what to expect. Do they think their kid is 10% better than what they are or 3-4x better.

I think this is fair and probably accurate.

I think in travel ball, you're more likely to get a parent who really knows his/her stuff and also has a kid (and, usually, that kid is going to be one of the better players because mom/dad has been working with her since before she could walk). Travel teams coached by parents who don't have a clue probably don't last long.

In HS ball, if a parent is coaching, it's probably because the school had no other options unless it's one of those long-time coaches who has a kid come through the program. You might get a parent who knows something. You might get a parent who's just willing to be there for the kids. You might get a parent who sees an opportunity to get DD playing time.

I can see myself in a situation next year where I might be forced to accept a (not very good) parent coach for our baseball team. Our coach is leaving for an AP position at another school. I don't think I'm going to have a lot of options when looking for a new coach, and I know the dad of one of our JV players would do it in a heartbeat. I'll be spending part of my summer trying to avoid that situation.

Dec 14, 2022
I think this is fair and probably accurate.

I think in travel ball, you're more likely to get a parent who really knows his/her stuff and also has a kid (and, usually, that kid is going to be one of the better players because mom/dad has been working with her since before she could walk). Travel teams coached by parents who don't have a clue probably don't last long.

In HS ball, if a parent is coaching, it's probably because the school had no other options unless it's one of those long-time coaches who has a kid come through the program. You might get a parent who knows something. You might get a parent who's just willing to be there for the kids. You might get a parent who sees an opportunity to get DD playing time.

I can see myself in a situation next year where I might be forced to accept a (not very good) parent coach for our baseball team. Our coach is leaving for an AP position at another school. I don't think I'm going to have a lot of options when looking for a new coach, and I know the dad of one of our JV players would do it in a heartbeat. I'll be spending part of my summer trying to avoid that situation.
I have a question, if you'll excuse me. Shouldn't a candidate for a coaching position have some kind of skills that they have a certificate for? I haven't read the whole thread, maybe someone has already asked this.

Aug 5, 2022
I don’t know our varsity assistant coach just got announced and her only experience is a couple of years of high school ball and coaching 5th graders. This goes along with our new varsity coach with 1 year of JV experience who is a parent. Both hires were very disappointing and I’m glad mine is a senior and it’s her fun sport so she can play or not without worrying about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 9, 2021
I have a question, if you'll excuse me. Shouldn't a candidate for a coaching position have some kind of skills that they have a certificate for? I haven't read the whole thread, maybe someone has already asked this.

I think the only certificate required in most places is a CPR certification. Seriously though certificates don’t mean a whole lot and wouldn’t really tell you much about a coach’s ability. I think AD’d will always try to hire the best candidates. But I think what some are hinting at is they don’t have many good options often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk