High school coach calamity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Is it possible that the lack of warm ups, is a crutch to lean on because she gave up a couple runs? She did a complete warmup prior to the game, and threw overhand at least 6 times during the game. Sounds to me like they were playing a good team and a freshman made a few bad pitches. As a coach, I would love to give my relief pitchers all the time they need to warm up. But this was a single elimination situation, where they needed the best 9 girls on the field. Just sounds like the better team won the game.

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter is one of those pitchers who seem to get stronger as she goes along, starting cold she is usually not that effective, until a few innings.
It also makes dad worry about injury, I tell her if she think she may pitch some in a game then she should warm up before the game like she is starting the game. But after sitting for 45 to 60 minutes 5 pitches is not enough to get ready to pitch IMO.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
My DD is the same as PEPPERS. I looked at stats from last games- I thought batters adjust 2nd or 3rd time thru line up. My DD gave up six scattered hits, none in the last 3 innings. She gets in a grove, is more relaxed, and performs better. So question is- how to channel that so she is at her best from the beginning. And if there is a possibility of going in, with the coach on board, what should she be doing to stay ready, be at her best and minimize risk of injury (which is a worry as well)? We have had thread that has asked this question before- not alot of recommendations forth-coming from that- so all of you who say it is the pitcher's job to be ready- what do your pitchers do? Or are they just ready.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Is it possible that the lack of warm ups, is a crutch to lean on because she gave up a couple runs? She did a complete warmup prior to the game, and threw overhand at least 6 times during the game. Sounds to me like they were playing a good team and a freshman made a few bad pitches. As a coach, I would love to give my relief pitchers all the time they need to warm up. But this was a single elimination situation, where they needed the best 9 girls on the field. Just sounds like the better team won the game.
joemcq51, your statement is ridiculous. Apparently you never pitched. Complete warmup before the game then wait six innings to get into the game. Oh and those couple of overhand throws between innings will keep her ready to pitch. Why not have your starting pitcher warm up the day before the game to save time? You don't know what you are talking about.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
joemcq51, your statement is ridiculous. Apparently you never pitched. Complete warmup before the game then wait six innings to get into the game. Oh and those couple of overhand throws between innings will keep her ready to pitch. Why not have your starting pitcher warm up the day before the game to save time? You don't know what you are talking about.

I stand by the statement. You're right, I may not know anything. However, I have coached thousands of games and hundreds of girls. Some require a ton of warm ups, some require only a few pitches after they initially warmed up. I honestly do not think the player only made a "couple" throws through six innings. The player wasn't sitting on the bench in freezing temps and then thrown into a game cold. If you read my post, you would have noticed I stated that "I would love to give my relief pitchers all the time they need to warm up." This could not have been the first time this has happened. I would assume the team has made pitching changes during games in the past. Probably with good results. This time they were playing a good team that got a couple timely hits. If they would have won the game, would this topic even be discussed? Certainly giving the back up some warm up time is ideal, but she warmed up prior to the game and has been active since it started. The team lost. Do we really need to look for someone to blame?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
It's not about blame its about ignorance. When I am coaching a game and my backup pitcher is playing the field and we are in a possible pitching substitution mode, I make sure she warms up between innings in case I have to put her in. People who don't know what they are doing don't do that. They rely on some warmups that took place an hour and a half before putting them in.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
I think, since you know the coach, next time you have her ear, ask. Maybe she saw something you hadn't, or really did a boneheaded thing, as it appears.

May 7, 2008
I think many of you have misunderstood the intention of my post. I am not whining about my student not doing well. I have been in the game long enough to know things happen. My point was that as coaches our responsibility is to manage the team we have and to use our resources in the best way we know how, to win the game. That being said, I simply felt that the coach did not perform well enough to accomplish this. As for my going to her to express my opinion, it is really none of my business to point out other peoples shortcomings. The advise about having the number#2 get up on her own to warm up while her team is batting? How many freshman on a varsity team do you know would do that without the coach initiating it. Maybe she could suggest it to her but I am not sure she would. All of that being said, as one coach pointed out, it was a good game, and the better team won.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr