Help with Mechanical Issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Crab

Crab
Jan 21, 2013
Rocky mount nc
As stated in my first post, my 12 year old daughter is having mechanical issues when pitching. Per your suggestions, I am posting a video of her and welcome feedback. Be honest, if we need to hang it up, please tell me.

12 year old pitcher

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The good news is, that isn't as bad as you were describing. Many girls go a long way, pitching just like that. She needs some really good instruction, now. I do feel that she is pushing the ball. And she is of course, hopping on the concrete. But, I would really like to coach this girl. I think if you read and apply the internal rotation thread, she will be fine.

She has to be almost 5'9", I am guessing.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Crab,

No one this strong and athletic should hang something up at 12 unless they really hate it.

Amy is right -
She needs some really good instruction

you may have to be that instructor in part. A good place to start - Together compare her to a really good motion and don't do anything the person with the really good motion doesn't do. Does Sarah below walk through her pitches like your daughter?...then don't do it. Compare everything and seek to improve motion and get good help where you can.

Crab

Crab
Jan 21, 2013
Rocky mount nc
She is almost 5"7'. She weighs 115. She never played a sport of any kind until spring of 2012. She goes to small private school that had to invite 6th graders out just to have a varsity team. She played and loved it. She the made a travel ball team but was behind most girls in terms of experience. By the end of her first year she was a regular and contributing to her team. She is the only pitcher returning this year at school and am scared to death she is gonna be overwhelmed and become frustrated with the pitching. She has come a long way but the pitching has not come as easy.

Jul 17, 2012
Hey Crab, Welcome to the forum. One question I have....Is she doing what the PC has taught her? If she is, then don't blame your DD or question her ability, but rather search for a new source of instruction. She seems to be a very strong athlete. She's just a little out of whack with her mechanics. I read your other post with the laundry list of problems, but remember, you cant possible fix em all at once. Start with the footwork. DD's PC gave her a great drill for this...in my opinion. Have her lock her hands behind her lower back and work on the 4 "P's" push, pivot, plant, pinch. Best way to teach this is do it yourself. Stand on the rubber...bend the knees slightly and start to lean/fall foreward. Don't let your nose get too far in front of your right toe. You want to feel your body falling and then push before you get too far ahead of your feet. Push off the rubber with the right foot, and pivot that foot so she drags on the inside toe while throwing the left foot out and up over the powerline. She should be on the inside of her right toe before the left foot plants with a VERY slight bend in the left knee to promote balance and stability. If the left knee is completely straight and knee locked, she'll likely end up falling foreward instead of creating a firm fron side. Finally, the drag of the right inside toe finishes when the right knee "pinches" against the left knee. Have her focus on the feet and dropping the right shoulder a bit below the front shoulder as to keep her center of gravity over her right hip. That will force the hips and shoulders to the open position. Hands behind the back are to eliminate the thought of what her arms are doing. She needs to concentrate on what those 2 feet are doing. The hips and shoulders SHOULD naturally follow. Then, as a completely seperate drill, look at the "IR in the classroom" thread (post at the top of the pitching forum) and teach her to play catch underhand in the manner Boardmember demonstrates.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Does she want to pitch? Does she want to practice? If the answer is "yes" to both, don't even talk about hanging it up.

I'd like to see more lean during the load. I thought she was too upright at the start. Like Hal said, land against the plant with a slight rearward lean. Also, show her the video of herself and of Amanda Scarborough, Finch and Ueno below and compare the drag. Have her think about driving (or jumping) to her stride plant and landing on that foot only. The drag foot slides along for the ride. As of now she's landing on both feet and not thinking/feeling the stride foot.
Softball Power Drive - mechanics in slow motion 1000 frame per second - YouTube
finch-side.wmv - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA3ePUG8k1U&list=PL5C95D4B66B06E9AE

I wonder if she might be a good candidate for thinking "drive knee/laces facing forward during the stride."

Learn to whip like Coach Amy said and she'll have a blast (pun intended.)

Tell her there are many coaches who would love to have a student as athletic as her; and even more so if she has the heart for it.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
The Softball Power Drive video that KenB posted of Amanda Scarborough is a GREAT reference to show your daughter. DD and I CONSTANTLY refer to that video when we discuss the proper motion. Push and Pivot is PERFECTLY shown at about the 42 second mark of the video. Plant and pinch at about the 37 second mark. Also notice how her hips and shoulders remain open as she releases the ball, then they start to slightly turn toward the catcher.

Hang in there, she looks like she definitely has the ability. It is a little hard because she looks tentative, but most players would be pitching in the driveway. All in all she looks OK she just needs a little work. It is kind of a cop out but go to fastpitch.tv and watch Hillhouse pitching clinic (or just google it)it will help you with the basics. Things like pushing off straight which might help the hopping up issue (although being on dirt might help), staying open a little longer, finishing lose and natural. All stuff we can try and explain to you but you might as well hear it from a professional and get to watch what he is talking about.

Jun 18, 2010
I do feel that she is pushing the ball. And she is of course, hopping on the concrete. But, I would really like to coach this girl. I think if you read and apply the internal rotation thread, she will be fine.

Crab,

Amy is spot on. Frame 8, 9 and 10 show what she means by pushing the ball.

crab_zps3fb7e72c.gif

Read and re-read these threads:
I/R in the Classroom
Internal Rotation

I agree with the others, if she enjoys pitching and is willing to work at it, don't be so quick to throw in the towel. Most of us wouldn't trade the he time we get to spend with our pitching DDs for anything.

Good luck. You came to the right spot for help.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd