help with drill from old thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2010
was reading old thread on "newbie help with drills" saw where fiveframeswing posted a progression drill that him and tweks and others commented on. this drill is for the lower
half getting started correct. can this be started using the tee first then to soft toss and also does this help any with keeping the bat long thru the zone. if not what is a good drill for getting the bat head on plane with the ball and long thru the zone. thanks.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Check out these two videos to get some ideas on how to teach hitting in a "long zone". IMO, hitting in a long zone requires getting the hands flat correctly. In the video, Jake starts the player with their hands flat in their stance. That is one option. I prefer to teach players how to get their hands flat from a vertical bat handset position so that they can feel the hands and arms working. It's a longer process, but once they get the correct feel, they can take that feel and apply it to their favorite handset position.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Thanks aim for the videos, great examples of;

1-analysis by ball flight

2-plane matching/long/early contact zone/maximizing chance of contact on joy spot

3- danger of misdiagnosis if not understood adequately leading to exactly WRONG attempt at fix, for example not understanding bathead path causing short pop ups and trying to "get on top more" and swinging down even more (more "V" shape, more acceleration-deceleration-wrist roll-reacceleration).

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Notice that Jake stressed the hands not dropping and remaining high. That’s the Mankin Power-Vee, as opposed to the Lazy-L … i.e., maintaining a pinched rear forearm-to-bicep orientation through to the RVP-Connection-Point position.

71pnw9.jpg

May 9, 2010
after posting i have done more reading. i feel we have started our swing from the top down, instead of the bottom up. the coach does preach getting on top of the ball a lot and i see short pop ups when ball is not a line drive or ground ball. my daughter as he says is "HANDSY" with her swing at times. if this is the case which drills to start with for the lower half. soreshins

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard