Help with Decision

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 13, 2010
My DD played on a 8U team this year as a 7yo. Team was about an hour from where we live. Although the organization has had success with the older age groups they struggled this year with the 8u. It was thier first year for this age group. Tryouts for this organization is this coming weekend and although the Manager has said that the girls from this year will be on the team next year he would like for them to be at tryouts to compare them with the other girls that come to tryout. I have no worries about dd not making the team.

I also got a call last week from an orginazation that is less than 30 minutes from where I live (about 1.5 hours away from the other organization) that has invited my daughter to try out for their 10U team. The organization is pretty established in the area and their 10U team travels to tournamnets within a 3 to 3.5 hour drive and seems to be successful. Talking with the Manager I am pretty sure that she will make the team.

I am not sure what to do. I breifly spoke to my daughter to see what her interests are, as she has played with some of the girls on the 10U team before. She doesn't lean one way or the other. She just likes playing and at this age I don't think she really cares who the team is as long as she is playing.

Do you tryout for the 8U team knowing that she will play 6-7 tournaments during the summer and will get alot of playing time or do you go to the 10U team knowing that you will play in 10-12 tournaments and face better teams but the playing time will not be as great?

I am leaning one way but would like to hear other opinions.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Same situation with us but within one organization. My DD is an 03 B'day but played with an 02 team last year. We officially tried out for the 03 team but was also asked to play with the 02's in 10U.

We decided to stay in 8U. One big thing for us is the fact she is a lefty and also wants to pitch. She can use another year of practicing before trying to pitch in 10U. Also left handed girls are a little limited on what positions they can play in the field. She will be getting time in the circle and at first with this team to go with time in the outfield last year which I think will help her out in the long run. She just wants to play and have time hanging out with the girls between games.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Coaches don't usually recruit players to be bench sitters. I would go to the tryout for the 10U team for that reason, plus it is a half hour closer to home. Your DD sounds like a typical 8YOA girl who just wants to play. Playing up a year at this age will probably do her good. Playing for a coach who already sees her as an asset to his team is a good situation.

Go to both tryouts. Talk to the other parents on the 10U team and see what they think of the team and coach. Look at the player talent level to see if your DD is able to step up and compete with them. After the tryout, talk to the coach and find out what his plan for your DD is (i.e. starter, sub, infield, outfield, etc.).

After you have all that information, talk to your DD and let her decide. If you have a preferance, you can always try to "help" her decide what she wants to do. IMO an hour drive is a long way to go for an 8U team.

Oct 25, 2009
I agree with FPMark. I would let her play up if she's going to get a good amount of playing time. Playing up will usually make a player better sooner.

The 3-hour round trip is another good reason to go with the closer team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
100% agree with FPMark.

There are three situations you run into all the time:

(1) Your DD is going to play every game, no matter what.
(2) Your DD is going to watch every game, and play every once in a while.
(3) Your DD is going to play quite a bit, but she isn't going to be out there every inning of every game.

IMHO, (3) is the perfect situation. She plays a lot, she learns she has to work for playing time, she develops respect for her teammates, she spends time on the bench talking with her friends, etc.

So, as long as your DD is going to get plenty of playing time, I would go with the 10U team.

May 31, 2009
I say let her play with the 8u. She'll be playing with kids closer to her own age and she'll get all the playing time she wants. No guarantee she will be playing quite a bit at 10u team. (#3) Poster just said pretty sure she will make the team, but playing time will not be great. She could be sitting the bench at 10u most of the time and become very frustrated. She has plenty of yrs ahead to develop her game. just my 2 cents.

May 25, 2010
She's 7 years old and only cares about playing.

Don't overthink it. And don't dump unnecessary pressure on her just because you decided to accept the long commutes in order to advance her career at this age.

9yo DD has a completely different body today than she did when she was 7, so she's re-learning a lot of basic skills.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Another thing to consider at this age is communing with the team. Being closer allows for off field activities, that at 7 years old, are important. Most of all, go to both try outs, no harm in looking. Watching the way try outs are handled pretty much will let you see how both organizations will be run. Then speak with your daughter and go with your gut feeling.

Dec 13, 2010
And don't dump unnecessary pressure on her just because you decided to accept the long commutes in order to advance her career at this age.

I don't think I am putting any pressure on her and the commute doesn't bother me at all. It is actually relaxing after a day at work. And I was leaning to leaving her with the 8u team but after reading the comments will probably go to both tryouts and see what the other organization is about and go from there.

Thanks for the comments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619